AERIS Company Profile

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doug Krause

Contributor
Reaction score
San Leandro, California (just south of Oakland)
AMERICAN UNDERWATER PRODUCTS – THE DIVE INDUSTRY’S BEST-KEPT SECRET

AERIS founder and CEO Bob Hollis took up scuba diving in the late 1950’s when recreational diving was still in its infancy. His love for diving soon led to a keen interest in underwater photography, a hobby that required him to create his own specialized equipment. With a degree in mechanical engineering, it was natural for Hollis to start designing and manufacturing underwater camera and strobe housings in the machine shop behind the Anchor Shack, the retail sporting goods store he’d opened in Hayward, California in 1965. Before long, divers and others were asking Hollis to make equipment for them, and a successful mail order business was begun.

In 1972, Hollis founded American Underwater Products, doing business as Oceanic. The company started out with a dozen diving products, including the Anchor Shack’s photo line. After four years, Hollis took a big leap forward when he acquired Farallon, a manufacturer in nearby Belmont. That acquisition instantly gave Oceanic a full line of diving equipment, with an innovative line of instrumentation products. “I saw digital instrumentation as the key to the future of diving,” explains Hollis. “Divers need to quickly and accurately calculate many variables, such as their depth, safe dive times, and decompression requirements to avoid the bends.” After the acquisition, Oceanic went to work researching and developing radically new instruments. In 1981, the company introduced the DataMax, the first mechanical depth gauge with automatic digital timer. The product was an instant hit and propelled Oceanic to the forefront of dive equipment suppliers.

In the early 1980s, Hollis helped introduce the concept of an electronic dive computer to the industry. These sophisticated instruments track, calculate, and display a wealth of critical information for divers, including dive time and depth, ascent rate, air consumption, nitrogen absorption, and other essential information needed to dive safely. The dive computer revolutionized diving safety and is considered a mandatory piece of equipment for all divers. Hollis considers his role in developing this technology his proudest professional accomplishment.

To build products that continue to revolutionize diving, Hollis has created several sister companies under the American Underwater Products family:

Oceanic’s high performance instruments, regulators, buoyancy compensators, masks, fins, snorkels, thermal wear, and accessories are sold through more than 600 U.S. dive retailers, and worldwide through Oceanic’s affiliate companies in Australia, Singapore, Japan, England, Germany, and Italy. Oceanic has worked with NASA, the U.S. Navy, and others to research new technologies and incorporate them into recreational diving equipment.

AERIS was formed in 1998, a leading supplier of high-end diving equipment. With it’s own line of innovative products sold in over 400 stores in the US and worldwide, AERIS has already become recognized as a leader in the recreational scuba diving market.

Pelagic Pressure Systems is a leading OEM (original equipment manufacturer) supplier of mechanical and digital pressure sensing instruments to the recreational scuba industry, life-support industry, military, and industrial safety industry for companies like MSA and Respiratory Systems. Today, Pelagic Pressure Systems controls a dominant share of the recreational scuba instrumentation market through Oceanic, AERIS and other brands.

ROMI Enterprises supplies precision-machined components required for the production and final assembly of a wide variety of products marketed by Oceanic, AERIS and others.

Founded with and operated by Bob’s son, Mike Hollis, Pro-A is a cutting-edge engineering and assembly facility located in Taipei, Taiwan. Pro-A works closely with molding facilities to ensure the highest quality component parts and finished products.

2002 Design is dedicated to the design, prototyping, testing, and technical documentation of all products produced by American Underwater Products. Engineers, using Silicon Graphics workstations and state of the art three-dimensional software, design and develop new products from concept to production. A prototype can be manufactured right from the computer design, then tested, refined and turned into a production model. Oceanic's hyperbaric testing facility is considered by many to be the most sophisticated of its kind in the world. This reputation is the result of years of involvement in breathing regulator design and testing.

Hollis Industries is the most recent addition to the manufacturing family. Located in Wuxi, China, Hollis Industries produces high quality buoyancy compensators, signaling tubes, lift bags, harnesses, and bladders for Oceanic, AERIS, and other OEM customers. Fabric panels are cut to exacting standards, each and every time. Bladders are heat sealed for life using specialized RF (radio frequency) welders. Skilled production personnel cut and sew each fabric section and component one at a time. Quality Assurance departments inspect all components and finished products as they come off the line.

Tawali Resort Papua New Guinea is located in a secluded area of Milne Bay amongst local fishing villages and accessible only by boat. Oceanic founder Bob Hollis has spent more than 20 years exploring the remote islands of Papua New Guinea. Recently, he realized an ambitious dream of opening a resort dedicated to diving explorers and adventurers.

Built on a limestone bluff eighty feet above the water, Tawali offers guests a private retreat in which to enjoy the wonders of PNG. Tawali was constructed by local craftsmen and you will find beautifully carved totems and woodwork in the spacious main lodge and throughout the resort. Covered walkways connect guest bungalows, which are complete with private balconies overlooking Hoia Bay. The air-conditioned bungalows are spacious with two queen beds and rosewood interiors that include desks, closets and lounge areas. Each room has a personal safe and coffee making facilities. Bathrooms are modern, completely tiled and have solar heated water.

Hollis was recently inducted into the Diving Hall of Fame for his many contributions to diving. A true pioneer in the industry, he led the first dive travel tours, introduced scuba equipment into many resort locations, explored and filmed the wreck of the Andrea Doria, and spearheaded the development of dive computers. Most recently, Hollis has been elected President of DEMA (Diving Equipment & Marketing Association). DEMA is a global, not-for-profit organization comprised of more than 1,200 companies and organizations. DEMA's mission is to promote sustainable growth in recreational diving and snorkeling while protecting the underwater environment.

For the future, Hollis is focusing on building brand recognition, as well as continuing to expand and complement American Underwater Products offering of innovative products. With today’s consumers constantly demanding new and improved versions of everything, plus fierce competition for discretionary dollars spend on sporting equipment, no company can afford to rest on its laurels. “We enhance our products every year, making them smaller, lighter, and more user friendly,” declares Hollis. “Our aim is to create products that will exceed the needs of divers and also naturally extend the freedom of diving.”

Why did he create a new company when he started Aeris? Why not incorporate it all under Oceanic??
I realize it is like Lexus is to Toyota but you need to work on your advertising. They local shop I use said people have no idea who Aeris is when they try to sell it but when you mention Oceanic then they know. ("They only have Aeris, not any Oceanic because they can't get it from you?")

Scubafast:
Why did he create a new company when he started Aeris? Why not incorporate it all under Oceanic??
I realize it is like Lexus is to Toyota but you need to work on your advertising. They local shop I use said people have no idea who Aeris is when they try to sell it but when you mention Oceanic then they know. ("They only have Aeris, not any Oceanic because they can't get it from you?")

Prior to Aeris,we made instruments and gauges for MANY companies, some of those companies purchased or entered into agreements with other OEM's of computers and instruments. We had the capacity and wished to continue to use it:D We still make this stuff for others as well...

Oceanic is the premier brand and has better recognition no question.

Aeries allows us to offer a different brand to non Oceanic dealers and simply put increase market share. They also have different positioning in the market place. Generally you'll find more features and or newer stuff in the Oceanic line.

If your dealer sells it as being Oceanic while not untrue isn't exactly true (and not how we want to present the brands).

As for the advertising do you see LEXUS advertised as "made by Toyota" or Toyota ads that say "We also make Lexus"?

I've got to admit, Doug. I'm currently torn between getting an Aeris or Zeagle BCD. I'll be checking out both this August when I'm back home visiting beautiful Oakland, California. So, being born and raised in Oakland and all, do I qualify for some sort of home boy discount?

cerich:
If your dealer sells it as being Oceanic while not untrue isn't exactly true (and not how we want to present the brands).

No, they don't sell it that way but when a customer questioned whether it was a name brand or not the Oceanic name was brought up and then they understood. The LDS says they have that problem quite often so they don't stock your regs because they can't sell them like the Mares or Dacor.
cerich:
As for the advertising do you see LEXUS advertised as "made by Toyota" or Toyota ads that say "We also make Lexus"?
No, (I used to work for Lexus for 3 years) but when Lexus was launched they had the media to do that for them and the salesmen used that to reassure people. Lexus is standing on it's own now and does not need that anymore. When Aeris was lauched it would have been nice if you built some name recognition in ads such as "Brought to you by the same people that make Oceanic" or something along those lines (it's never too late) Outside of the dive "industry" it just seems that Aeris is relatively unknown by the diving masses.

Just my thoughts...

well, i have to say i have always loved the Atmos 2, and am glad to
see you didn't change it too much, but did raise the price ... i guess that's
progress ... i hear that the display isn't as large as before ... bad move, imo

awesome computers

Doug -

I think it would benefit the scuba industry greatly if all the manufacturers on ScubaBoard had a week long retreat at the Tawali Resort...

What do you think???

:wink:

Scott

ScottZeagle:
Doug -

I think it would benefit the scuba industry greatly if all the manufacturers on ScubaBoard had a week long retreat at the Tawali Resort...

What do you think???

:wink:

Scott

Hey Scott,

Doug is in Tawali now....

Any ideas on how we sell Bob on this idea?:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom