BP Comparisans

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DivePartner1

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm interested in feedback on the relative pros and cons of Halcyon, OMS and Dive Rite back plates. What to you love or hate about any of these?

Which offers the bes value (consider merits and longevity as well as cost).

Thanks!

If it is stainless steel it will outlast every piece of kit you own. Some are more expensive than others so you can do the math on which is better value for money:wink:

Thanks, Nick, but what is the weight difference? I do an awful lot of diving a plane ride away, and I'd like to keep the weight down to under 75 pounds.

Stainless Plate - 6 pounds
Heavy Stainless Plate - 7-9 pounds
Al plate - 2 pounds

They are not that heavy. Add a wing and your other gear and you should be ok.
Eric

I am also a new diver (less than 15 dives) and have just purchased a used BC from ebay. I use an OMS IQPAQ with a SS Blackplate (6 lbs). Some people don't like the retraction banded wings (100 lbs lift), but I don't have a problem with them. The IQ Paq makes it a very comfortable BC. I'm a pretty big guy - 6'4 - 240lbs and don't have a problem. Your best bet would be to try a few out.

I'm interested in feedback on the relative pros and cons of Halcyon, OMS and Dive Rite back plates. What to you love or hate about any of these?

I know a guy with a Dive Rite and my group all have Halcyons...I don't think it matters much. Like nickjb said they are pretty bombproof. I would get one that has a nice finish so you aren't replacing webbing, but other than that they all feel the same on your back. If I had it to do again I would get a FredT I think...less money and pretty easy to rig yourself..

Thanks O'Ring. I think we dive in a lot of the same ponds and I've come to conclusion that one tank just doesn't do it for most of the diving off the Delaware coast.

My old BC only handles a single, but doubles seem to make more sense than a monster tank and pony confirguration. What kind wing, regulator configuration are you and your crew using?

We just moved to doubles... We all had Halcyon singles rigs, so we each doubled up our AL80s and bought Halcyon Explorer 40# wings. We got the Halcyon manifolds (got tired of waiting for the Sea Elites to come in) and the Highland bands from EE. Throw all that together with a couple Apeks DS4s and you are good to go.

We had the same ideas you are talking about...I didn't want to go with a AL100/ST120 or something and a pony either.

I checked out the Halcyon, OMS and Dive Rite websites, and I like the look of the Halycon rig, and the strong reviews it gets. I'm not wild about bungied wings for the reasons I see on this site. The DIR approach to the rig seems to make a lot of sense as well.

Aquaguy, if I go this route I know where you could find a two year old SeaQuest Balance in good condition--100 or so dives on it but adoringly maintained.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom