Apeks DS4 hose routing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

O-ring

Beyond the Pale
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I know this has been discussed (and I did do a search) but I am still a little unclear. Should the first stages be exactly perpendicular to the valves or is some "tilt" allowed (see attached). The reason I ask is that with the exact perpendicular orientation I am not even sure I can screw them in all the way because of the bending of the hoses (I might if I took off my hose protectors).

I found this pic when doing my search so these aren't mine...the left post here is a DS4 and has the "tilt" I was talking about...

Thanks!

I don't really think that it matters... I've seen both, and it doesn't appear that either would pose more of an entanglement possibility over the other.

Personaly, I screw my zeagle flathead's in perpendicular. I use really heavy hose protectors, and even though the some of the hoses end up doing 90 degrees off of the tank shoulders, the angle is rounded and wide enough because of the heavy hose protectors to not cause hose damage.

Plus, I don't really like the angle I'd have to put in the secondary 2nd stage hose coming from the left post, angled out left and then bending it to the right... eats up alot of hose length too... I use a 24" hose on my bungeed reg.

Although, if you had a scubapro/atomic design with the LP butt port, this would be a non-issue. In that case, I would angle them and use a 22" on the bungeed reg...

I use a bit of tilt (not much) and no hose protectors.

Tom

O-ring once bubbled...
I found this pic when doing my search so these aren't mine...the left post here is a DS4 and has the "tilt" I was talking about...

Thanks!

I use less tilt than that. Also my bands are a good deal higher on my tanks than his which changes the routing angle a bit.

Tom

I've got hose protectors and no tilt.

As an aside I really like how the DS4s stay clear of the knobs!

Roak

WreckWriter once bubbled...
those are not DS4s, they're flathead 6s.
Yup, and look how they block access to the knobs.

Roak

roakey once bubbled...

Yup, and look how they block access to the knobs.

Roak

That's why I like my Zeagle Flathead's... they don't have that "flare" at the top where the ports are. That way you can lay them upside down than what is pictured with the Apex's. The longer part ('bottom') of the 1st stage points in, not out and blocking access to the knobs:
http://www.zeagle.com/reg2001_models.htm

But the hoses come off the reg strait down into the tank shoulder, hence the heave hose protectors.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom