Kids and freediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kidspot

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I don't have any formal training in freediving, but wondering about any concerns in freediving specific to children's physiology.

I just got back from the beach with my neighbors 2 daughters (12&13) we've been snorkeling together since they were 7&8 I think. It used to be they would go down 5 or maybe 8 ft and rarely as much as 10 seconds. Today we were picking up golf balls someone had hit into 20-25 ft of water. I was quite pleasantly surprised to see they were going down, pick one up, spot another, swim over and get it, see a third, pick it up, look up and then decide to surface... about 30 second breath holds. As soon as they began their ascent I would dive down and meet them halfway, just in case they had a problem. I try to remind them not to push themselves too far, and I make them take short breaks between dives with 5 minutes after about 20 dives (really have to force them or they would just keep going down). It won't be long before they are able to stay down a lot longer than me (I'm at a max of 90 seconds)

So that's the "history," any thing I should be aware of, or perhaps not allow in the interest of safety? (btw - they grew up on the water, surfing by age 2 etc.. so they have absolutely NO fear of the water, and a good grasp of currents, waves etc)

Aloha, Tim

btw - they came back with a bag of 24 golf balls today... and lots of smiles :D I only picked up 4 of them...

Hi Tim,

Perhaps they should start getting in the habit of alternating so they spot for each other. I'm sure they day is soon cmng where they will be out together, alone.

Golf balls is one of my log items, I've had my best luck while skin-diving with a personal best of 41. My bag was so heavy that as it hung to a side it had me swimming in circles on the way in.

Make sure they recognoze that if they are carrying the balls in a catch bag they become less byouyant with each ball. As their skills grow and they venture deeper the return to the surface will require more effort and time.

Advise them to save the balls so they can sell them on the used market to finance the inevitable desire for scuba gear.

As for physiology stuff...

Are they practicing proper ear care? Clearing and end of day cleaning?
Are they managing mask squeeze?
Sooner or later if neglected this stuff goes from discomfort to injury.

I assume this is warm water stuff without weights? If they are usng weights then ditch drills would be good.

I don't know what the rick of entanglement in stuff like monofilament line is down there. To me that is the single biggest danger I face, I now carry my knife when skin-diving.

Pete

Good comments/observations Pete,

since day 1 the rule has been only one of them down at a time while the other "spots" for them - while at the surface they are to look for the rest of the "team" every 15 seconds. Clearing their ears took a while to learn, but they do fine with it now - about ever 3-5 ft I see them doing a valsalva - and no mask squeeze issue (though we have not discussed it) - Their parents are the ones that taught me about after dive ear care, so I'm sure they have taken care of their kids on that matter :wink: (family of surfers/divers)

No weight belts needed, in their wetsuits they are barely positive (1mil suits). Though we have done ditch drills for fun (I'm hoping in a few years time their parents will give permission for scuba - they will make great dive buddies - better than a lot of adults I've dove with lol)

Entanglement issues I can't say - we have not been in areas yet where there is much mono in the water - I'll keep that in mind though - hadn't considered it.

We also carry closed cell smb's with us so they can rest at the surface if needed, but they use them less and less. (They make great "pool noodles")

Any other considerations?

Aloha, Tim

sounds like your doing a good job!
i dont have much expierence with freediving. But, by the make of things your doing well. Your watching their safety and helping with what they need. They sound like theyve got good parents as well. And growing up there, being confident and confortable in the water over the years, well, wow, thats some of the best expierence I could think of!

Maybe invest in some free diving mags? Good source of information!

But like I said, I cant give any offical advice as I only will be venturing more into freediving this summer! Seek a pro! I know Cayman has some great free divers who Im sure wouldnt mind lending some advice! Contact Sunset House!

They do sound like they will make excellent divers and great buddies! Im down if your ever around or i know who to call if I make it down there!

Good job!

They need to each carry a knife. Doing dives like that could easily result in entanglement with fishing line. And who says they will inevitably "progress" to SCUBA. SCUBA has so many draw backs that they may well be satisfied as freedivers forever!

Back
Top Bottom