Backplate care

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

large_diver

Contributor
Reaction score
Question about stainless steel backplate care --

Obviously stainless steel is not rust proof, but rust can be largely avoided with proper care.

When you buy a SS dive knife, the mfr. recommends thorough rinsing, drying and then application of a light silicone coating.

This got me thinking about my BP. I've been taking the BP, wing, & STA apart after every dive and soaking them (along with the bolts/wing nuts). I then towel dry the BP and let it dry further in the shade.

Although this should keep rust away, there are always those hard to reach places in the slots/holes, especially in spots where the wet webbing passes through the plate -- spots where you can't hand dry the plate....

Any thoughts on this?

I just rinse mine. If I ever get a bit of rust, I'll simply sand it off.

Tom

uhm, i rinse mine.......sometimes...when i get to it...:rolleyes:

large_diver once bubbled...
I've been taking the BP, wing, & STA apart after every dive and soaking them (along with the bolts/wing nuts). I then towel dry the BP and let it dry further in the shade.
....several coats applied between dives... and be sure to buff vigorously to get a nice shine... don't forget to wax and polish the wing nuts and bolts(?) too... so many forget that they need special care as well... I'm glad to see that you are already giving them special attention.

Every 10 dives be sure to strip all the wax off and and start over or you will get a nasty looking yellow build up as many a lazy diver has found out the hard way. Be sure to strip the wax from the bolts and wing nuts too.

Once a year just after the wax stripping ritual you should polish the stainless steel with a good brand of stainless steel polish. While many forego this extra care the prudent diver will actually do this bi-annually!!!

Every ten years replace the wing nuts and whatever bolts you were using for whatever reason.

Every twenty years it is important to weigh your stainless steel backplate to see if it has lost mass due to all the polishing. Make sure that your backplate falls within the manufacturer's recommended weight tolerance. This is critical... don't fudge on this!

Every fifty years send your plateback to the manufacturer for a factory overhaul... do not attempt this yourself.

:rofL:
UP, I'm afraid that one of these days you may have to go digging in your cheek to see if your tongue is still embedded in there somewhere, or if it's burrowed it's way through!
:haha:

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

....several coats applied between dives... and be sure to buff vigorously to get a nice shine... don't forget to wax and polish the wing nuts and bolts(?) too... so many forget that they need special care as well... I'm glad to see that you are already giving them special attention.

Every 10 dives be sure to strip all the wax off and and start over or you will get a nasty looking yellow build up as many a lazy diver has found out the hard way. Be sure to strip the wax from the bolts and wing nuts too.

Once a year just after the wax stripping ritual you should polish the stainless steel with a good brand of stainless steel polish. While many forego this extra care the prudent diver will actually do this bi-annually!!!

Every ten years replace the wing nuts and whatever bolts you were using for whatever reason.

Every twenty years it is important to weigh your stainless steel backplate to see if it has lost mass due to all the polishing. Make sure that your backplate falls within the manufacturer's recommended weight tolerance. This is critical... don't fudge on this!

Every fifty years send your plateback to the manufacturer for a factory overhaul... do not attempt this yourself.

I've had mine for about 2 years and never rinse it (except to dive more!). No rust at all. Don't worry about it. It's a backplate, not a reg!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom