Best Place To Buy Dive Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryTat

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm About To Purchase Dive Gear For My Newest Dive Buddy.. My Oldest Daughter. I Was Wondering What Your Thoughts Were On The Place To Shop To Get The Best Bang For My Buck. There Is A Major Scuba Show Next Month Close To Me In Long Beach. Would That Be A Good Place To Perhaps Get A Show Special? Or Are There Other Places/dive Shops I Should Consider?

I'm inclined to say work with a local shop to get things that fit and to try before buying, at least in a pool. A local shop I cannot suggest from here. If your question includes the online aspect I would first ask...

*What items are we talking about?
*Is your daughter of "normal" proportions. I'm being delicate here since some folks are easy off the rack types and others are special.
*In her diving up until now has she identified any gear that worked really well that she wants to own, specific brands and models?
*How much time to you have to spend on returning and exchangnig through the mail if you don't nail it first try?

Pete

She's Not Certified Yet... SHE WILL BE IN A FEW MONTHS. But I Would Like Her To Have Her Gear Before She Does.... I'm Hesitant To Buy Online. Too Much Hassle.

Since you are in So Cal, you might consider checking out SCUBA.com. Their main warehouse and showroom is located right here in Orange County. They just moved the facility from Rancho Santa Margarita to Irvine in order to accommodate their growth needs. You get the best of both worlds ... LDS service, internet pricing, huge selection/inventory. They also offer some brands in the showroom that are not available for sale on the internet ... generally at or near the minimum authorized retail price. BTW, I've also found that many traditional LDS will also work with you on price. Sometimes they can/will match internet prices from authorized dealers. Good luck.

TerryTat:
She's Not Certified Yet... SHE WILL BE IN A FEW MONTHS. But I Would Like Her To Have Her Gear Before She Does.... I'm Hesitant To Buy Online. Too Much Hassle.

The common wisdom is for her to be making a few dives on shop rental gear to get familiar with what works for her, at low cost low risk.

That being said here in Maine our rental options of things we would actually buy were nill and my wife was a difficult fit so with a lot of reseach here and at dive shops especially those with pools we made choices pre cert that have worked out well.

If you have access to good rental stuff (not just low end models) I'd still suggest trying stuff for a few weekends. That combinded with her training gear would give her a sound basis. However based on my experieince getting certified in our own gear was cool but did represent more risk.

Is there any chance that she will to like diving or care to dive? Just another risk.

Pete

TerryTat:
why not give the lds that she is getting certified at a chance? If one of my students makes the commitment to purchase gear before the course starts I"ll do the ow course -academics and pool work($250.) at no charge..They will still get a student discount -10% on equipment also..the only training fees will be the crew pack and any ow training dive fee..If you trust them enough to do the most important aspect of her activity-training-trust them to fit her out correctly for the type of diving she will get into..

Hello,
My name is Milo I am the manager at Beach Cities Scuba in Newport Beach.
We have a great selection of Top quality scuba gear.
I would be willing to give you a 10% off discount if you come in and check us out.
Our prices are competetive and I personally do my very best to make sure that you recieve the very best service.
I would like to invite any scubaboarders down to check out the store.
Same 10% off to anyone from scubaboard who comes in.
It would be nice to put faces to some of you.:D
were located at:
4537 W. coast hwy
Newport beach CA 92663
We took over the old Aquatic Center
Hope to see you soon,
Milo

I Appreciate All Of Your Input. She Has Dove In Our Pool With My Gear Countless Times. Last November She Also Did A Resort Dive In Hawaii. She's Hooked... And As A Proud Dad I Must Say A Natural Diver. She Just Seems Like She Should Of Been Born With Gills!!! If You Know What I Mean. I Bought My Gear Before My Certification Course Because I Knew I Would Love Diving. I Would Prefer Her To Get The Training That One Gets During The Certification Process With Her Own Gear. That Way She Would Be Ready To Roll When She And I Can Go Out On Our Own... Thanks For All Of Your Input. Scubaboard Is Awesome. Even When You Find That You Havent Found The Time, Or Opportunity To Dive.. You Can Still Get A Taste Or Fix!!!!

And now we know .... The rest of the story.

Have fun shopping and diving with your new buddy!

Pete

I also live in Long Beach, and the place I buy my dive gear is a store called New England Divers. The owner is the coolest guy around and he has really good prices and some really, really nice packages. He is the kind of guy that really isn't trying to sell you something as much as inform you on what your options are and the best ones you should take. If you want the number PM me and i'll send it to you. Seriously you should give him a call, Good store, good guy, great in general.

Evil :bgmad:

Back
Top Bottom