Quarries in SC?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver doh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Okay, I probably blew the spelling of tahta...

So is there any Quarry diving in SC?

Less than 120 miles from Charleston?

More than 120 miles from Chastown?

The curious wanna know!

De nada!

Jeff

There is a quarry that Wateree Dive Center in Columbia uses. It is near Blythewood. I think that would be under 120 miles from Charleston.

It is a two part quarry, the one most commonly used bottoms out at 80ish. The second quarry bottoms around 100 or so.

Decent Vis when its not churned up by OW divers. It is really cold though. Right now the temp is around 75 from 0 feet to 18 feet. Around 18 feet you hit the first thermal cline that drops you to around 57 degrees. There is usually another thermal cline at 70ish which drops down to a nut hugging 45ish.

yea there is one outside winnesboro i think its in the lil town(area) called rion or something like that i went there a few weeks ago with the wateree folks
boy was it cold below 20 feet and really cold below 40 feet
pretty neat place and and a good bit of things to see down there

Outside of 120 miles, but Lake Jocassee (not a quarry)up in the foothills is used a lot by divers. It actually has a diving area setup that has a platform and submerged objects. Good place to go to check out gear or just get wet for a weekend. About a 4 hour drive though.

Carolina Diver:
Outside of 120 miles, but Lake Jocassee (not a quarry)up in the foothills is used a lot by divers. It actually has a diving area setup that has a platform and submerged objects. Good place to go to check out gear or just get wet for a weekend. About a 4 hour drive though.
Actually part of Jocassee is a quarry used for the dam. It's called the wall.

diver doh:
Okay, I probably blew the spelling of tahta...

So is there any Quarry diving in SC?

Less than 120 miles from Charleston?

More than 120 miles from Chastown?

The curious wanna know!

De nada!

Jeff

I hope you are diving solo. How many trips have you taken to the recompression chamber now?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom