Maintaining Atomic regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

khacken

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My owners manual states that I should not rinse the reg unless it is under pressure. However, I do not own a tank, and have to turn it in before I get home. How do I go about rinsing the reg out before storing it? Are they just referring to the first stage? I just rinse the exterior of the first stage. I have a B2.

Maybe you can get a cheap pony for that?

I'm not familiar with Atomic, but I just soak mine in water for a few hours and make sure the dust cap is dry before putting it in (after the dive I just air dry it but some drops are still present, so when I get home I use cloth to completely dry it).

After that, I have a towel that I just put all my equipment on and let it dry.

The key is you do not want any water to get in the first stage. If you simply submerge everything, water can get into the LP hoses thru Atomic's unsealed orifice in the 2nd stages. If this happens, it can travel thru the hoses and into the 1st stage where it mayl cause corrosion. With that in mind, I can think of a few options. Use two soaking tubs; one for the 1st stage and one for the 2nds. Keeping the hoses as the high point will keep water from traveling into the 1st. Then make sure you dry & store it with the 1st stage higher than the 2nds so water can't flow into the 1st. Or, disassemble the LP hoses from the 1st and plug the ports. Soak everything, blow out and dry the LP hoses good before you reassemble.

Best solution is buy a tank. Shop around at area LDSs for a used one. You can then go diving without having to deal with tank pickup and drop off, and your reg care can be done properly.

No need to soak the regs,

Rinse the 1st stage with running water, hotter the better (make sure the dust cap is in place)
Rinse the 2nd stage, through the mouthpiece 1st, rinse the exhaust tee 2nd, rinse through the holes in the purge cover 3rd (do not purge/depress the cover, during the rinsing of the 2nd stage.)

Let air dry completley before storing

When you return the rental tank, dunk your reg in their dunk tub while your reg is still attached to the tank. Or, take a large thermos of fresh water to the site and rinse after the dive.

If you use a rinse tank, dunk the first stage leaving the second stage out of the water, then submerge the second stages with the first stage out of the water.

Best way to rinse a Regulator is:

Rinse 1st Stage with dust cap in place, while holding 2nd/Octo above 1st stage out of the water.
THEN, while holding the 1st stage up out of the water and above the 2nd/Octo, Rinse thru the mouth piece's and the front covers. And don't forget to run some water thru the breathe deflector. The key is to keep the piece you're not rinsing above the other....Don't forget to rinse the inflator on your BC too.

Hmm, so it seems like the main issue would be water getting into the first stage.

Most of my dives are in freshwater, so I am not too worried about salt crystals that need to be dissolved.

so I am not too worried about salt crystals that need to be dissolved.

I'm new to diving but from what I've been told you'll still need to wash your equipment even from a fresh water dive because you may not have salt to deal with but you will have minerals & the like which are dissolved in fresh water, especially after recent rain. These will build up & cause freeflows & if they get in to your first stage will do more damage than salt (albeit at a slower rate).

Although I'm sure some one with more experience will give you more exacting info than I have.:wink:

Back
Top Bottom