New Reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hairymonster

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all. I'm looking to get a new set of reg's but cant decide which 1's to get i want something that is sutible for deep diving and ice diving as i enjoy ice diving and most of my diving is done in cold water.
I quite like poseidon cyklon and apex xtx 200.
Any help would be good

The Scubapro Mk 17 is an exceptional cold water first stage. When paired with the X650, S600 or G250HP it makes a very good and excellent performing cold water reg tht you can get service for almost anywhere.

Poseidens are well regarded in cold water, but I have never been a real fan of their qualitative breathing traits.

I would choose the Apeks. Cheaper and easier to service, the breath great and parts are always available. Poseidon parts are getting expensive.

You could also look at the new Mares Proton Ice Extreme. It comes with an enviornmental seal on the first stage, and our exclusive technoflouropolymer (teflon) coating on the all metal brass 2nd stage. This new coating is designed to eliminate the possibility of ice crystals collecting on any part of the 2nd stage. It has been approved and authorized for the U.S. Navy ANU list for both cold water and warm water categories.

Zak

I do prefer metal second stages in cold water just from the standpoint of improved heat transfer. But to be honest, it's a lot cheaper to go with the excellent breathing, readily serviceable, easily upgradeable and readily available at affordable prices used Scubapro Balanced Adjustables.

That said, I do give Mares a lot of credit for essentially re-introducing the all metal second stage and I hope the rest of the industry follows suit as plastic second stages, in many, many ways, really suck, particularly when combined with a plastic air barrel.

What does your local LDS carry?? Do they carry Apex? or Poseidon?

That should be a big factor on which reg you get, servicing can be a problem if your local shop doesnt work on your particular reg.

I would go with the Apex XTX if it were me, I have had the ATX 200 at depth, and it worked perfect, breathing was smooth.

I had a new Poseidon on the same trip as the ATX 200 and it did not work like expected, breathing was hard and unnatural.

My lds stocks apeks and oceanic. thanks for all the advice think i'm going to go with the apeks everyone i talk to says the same about the poeisden and everyone praises the apeks. Now all i have to do is convince the wife to let me get a set of xtx 200's!!!!

Hairymonster:
My lds stocks apeks and oceanic. thanks for all the advice think i'm going to go with the apeks everyone i talk to says the same about the poeisden and everyone praises the apeks. Now all i have to do is convince the wife to let me get a set of xtx 200's!!!!

If your LDS stocks Oceanic, you should take a really good look at the Oceanic Delta 4 with the FDX10 first stage. It is environmentally sealed, so it's good for cold water diving, and it is an awesome breather. It was rated one of the best new regs on the market in 2005, and it is not as expensive as the Apeks.

I have the Delta 4/FDX 10 and LOVE it. I've tried all kinds of regs, and I think that the Delta 4 is up there with the best of them.

Back
Top Bottom