Whiskey Wreck 5-13-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Patrick D and I headed out to the Whiskey Wreck Saturday morning and were glad to see the seas had layed down and surf was running ankle/shin high along the beach. Water looked a bit mucked up, but thats the Gulf for ya :)

Water temps were probably the same as Tuesday night, at 77F. There was a slight current running east. Visibility during the first part of the dive was 3-5' with lots of particle in the water and a ton of june grass suspended. We found the wreck without any problem and started to follow it eastward, around the stern, and back westward to get a better look at the newly uncovered areas. I filled my half-gig xD card with 25 minutes of video as we explored the newly uncovered areas, including some slight overhead areas, lots of ribs and masts(?), the portside of the hull, lots and lots of ballast stones, ect. There were spadefish schooling around, small mangroves, pinfish, small baracuda(?), sheepshead, flounder, skates, and stingrays. We also found "Munch's" long lost sibling. For those that do not keep up with the FL trip reports, Munch is spadefish thats been spotted at the Destin Jetties recently thats had its fin bitten off. There is another spadefish with the same handicap at the Whiskey. Patrick took 6 flounder and probably missed just as many :) Visibility had improved to 5-10' by the end of the dive as hgih tide moved in and the easterly current strengthened slightly.

It was a great dive despite the low-ish visibility towards the beginning. Its amazing how much wreckage is available to dive on the Whiskey currently. Hopefully, next time I'm out there, I can get some clearer visibility for better video and pictures.

I'll shoot a link out later with the video.

Couple Pics for now...

ElectricSkate.jpg

Spadefish.jpg

Aint the June grass great!? I can't wait for the movie.

I'm uploading it to my site as we speak, its ~500mb(25min) so its taking awhile :p I'll send you a link when I'm finished.

Had trouble with the upload last night, I'll have to work on it more tonight.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom