DST vs DS4 and Reg Clips

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquamaniac

Contributor
Reaction score
2 Quick questions.

1. Whats the low down and the big diff between DST's and DS4's?

2. Whats everyones opinion on Oring vs Cord for Clips on Regs.?

1) Guts: Same. DST has a swivel which is a failure point.

2) I use bicycle innertube.

Roak

1. Repeating other people's advice on this board:
DS4 for back gas
DST for deco/stage bottles because it swivels to allow optimum hose placement

I use the DST for a single backgas regulator, only because it was my first regulator purchase and that's what I have

2. I think DIR thinking for breakaway clips on second stages is that the second stage should be able to be "yanked" away from the right shoulder D-ring and donated to a diver. So an o-ring link would be required on the second stage clip. I have read that this is only required for bailout bottles on rebreathers though - I use a breakaway anyway.

All of my first stages are DS4, no swivels.

As to the boltsnaps (not clips), last I heard G3 said the only thing that goes on a breakaway is rebreather bailout reg, everything else gets tied on with cave line. My snaps are all tied on with cave line.

I think though that most folks are now using the breakaway so maybe George and me are the only ones who feel this way. My guess is that DIRF instructors are teaching the breakaway method.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...
[B

As to the boltsnaps (not clips),

Tom [/B]

I’m still staunchly hanging on to the remnants of the "aussie" Language, So its a Dogclips and cord to me.... :D :D

Or does DIR not allow foreigners as well? :confused:

:D

Aquamaniac once bubbled...

I’m still staunchly hanging on to the remnants of the "aussie" Language, So its a Dogclips and cord to me.... :D :D

Or does DIR not allow foreigners as well? :confused:

:D

I've heard "dogsnap" before. I avoid the term clip only because it tends to indicate a suicide clip device. Cord works :)

There's lots of folks from other countries involved in DIR diving. From what I understand it's catching on big in Europe but yet yet so much in Oz.

Tom

WreckWriter once bubbled...

I've heard "dogsnap" before. I avoid the term clip only because it tends to indicate a suicide clip device. Cord works :)

Tom

Good point, So from here on in, its a Snap. Pretty soon Y'all will have me calling them Fries Rather than Chips.

Its a shame DIR is not catching on in Oz.
The problem is that most of the "good Gear" is made in the USA or Europe
With a "50 cent to dollar" exchange rate, it can get rather expensive. I payed $1200.00 for my Apeks TX 50 set two years ago!!!!
I will be sure to Fly the Flag in any future trips home. On my last trip, I did notice more locally made BP's, so you never know, maybe soon!

Unfortunately the Australian equivalent to ScubaBoard has a number of very vocal DIR-bashers, which is probably slowing down acceptance. Australians are a very computer literate mob, so unfortunately DIR is going to take a lot longer to be accepted downunder because of the bad worth of mouth it receives.

There's several Aussies on the GUE DIRQuest list who are very pro-DIR.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom