Dive-Rite Vs. Poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lt9

Registered
Reaction score
I am getting ready to purchase Din regs for doubles and was wanting to get some feedback on whether to buy Poseidon extremes or Dive-Rite regs. I want to do cave diving, but also want to use this set up for deep wreck diving also.

I wouldnt get either

My suggestions
-Atomic B2 or Z2
-Apex XTX 200

I used a poseidon extreme in Truk, did not breath good at all, I had a Atomic B2, a Mares Abyss MR22 and a Apex Atx200 on that trip, they all outperformed the Poseidon

I know a few people that use the DR and are very happy. I've got one on a stage bottle - no problems, breathes well.

The nice thing about the DR regs is that all of the parts, service manuals, etc. are available if you want to work on them yourself.

Not sure where you live, but if you're anywhere near Gainesville, FL, Lloyd Bailey's shop has the DR regs for $319.

Brian

Which one can you have serviced locally, what is your budget and your needs?

I dive a poseidon and am really pleased with it. It breathes great at all depths. I have no local service centers for it but to me that dosent matter - I can either run it over to San Diego (3 hours away) or have shipped it off to be serviced. Having a close service center dosent matter that much to me, but the quality of the regs does and I have to cast my vote for Poseidon.

My LDS sells and services both the Dive-Rite and Poseidon. The DR is about half the cost of the poseidon.

If you end up doing cave diving and if you train with GUE, they won't like the Poseidon reg. They have a variety of reasons for this that are not necessarily shared by others.

Wellllll....

I have a Poseiden dealer and a number of Dive-Rite dealers near me. In fact I work for a dealer that carries both. I have 2 dive rite RG2500ice regs on my doubles. I'm very pleased with them BUT there are some issues that you should be aware of.

The Poseidens are good regs from what I hear, but some models have peculiarities that you need to be aware of. They are also quite expensive, and parts and service is very expensive. Given my choice of both, you can see what I chose.

As far as GUE, they only have a few requirements for regs. Unfortunately, the Poseiden second stages don't fit, but some of their first stages are ok I believe. They are well regarded among cold water divers.

I don't want to put input here based on my experience, as I've only been diving the DR 2500 since December. Past that I really don't have the background to make a claim one way or another.

My LDS, though, is http://www.diveriteexpress.com/ (didn't purchase the regs there - didn't know they were a LDS until after I bought my gear), and I've asked them a lot of questions about the RG2500's. They're using them for tech dives past 300 foot, state they breath well and really trust them, so take tht for what it's worth.

From what I can tell, the DR's were developed in cave country, for caving, and they're inexpensive for such a good reg.

I bought 'em because the parts and service instructions are so readily available.

I have a Poseidon Jetstream and it breathes very well at depth. As other posters have mentioned, they have a fair number of "peculiarties". They also use a custom hose that can be quite expensive, when compared to other hoses. I use an Apeks DS4/TX-50 as my alternate. If I had it to do over again, I would have gotten two Apeks regs. The Poseidon isn't really worth the extra hassle.

I don't use the DR regs, but I know a fair number of people who do some very serious diving with them. I have never heard any complaints.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom