Low Pressure Ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

brutus_scuba

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Most Regulators that I'm looking at online have either 4 or 5 LP Ports, and 2 HP Ports. Regulator and Octo go on the HP ports right? Inflator and Drysuit hookup could go on the LP Ports right? What else would the remaing two or three LP ports be used for?

Second stage regulator, octo, BC inflator, and drysuit inflator go to the LP ports. Pressure gauge goes to one of the HP ports. Second HP port is often not used.

rainman_02:
Second stage regulator, octo, BC inflator, and drysuit inflator go to the LP ports. Pressure gauge goes to one of the HP ports. Second HP port is often not used.
Thanks unfortuantly that was skipped over in my recent OW class.

brutus_scuba:
Thanks unfortuantly that was skipped over in my recent OW class.

Makes me wonder what else gets skipped over in todays instruction..

yeah... we didn't cover this in my OW, AOW, or Rescue class.

i figured it out on my own somewhere between OW and AOW when i
bought my first set of gear (this was before i discovered ScubaBoard)

brutus, basically, your pressure gauge will go on the HP port. everything else gets an LP port

you can try and see if something belongs in an HP port. if it doesn't, it won't screw
in at all (and vice-versa). it's done that way so you don't accidentally put the wrong thing in the wrong port.

They put muliple HP and LP ports on first stages so people can rig their gear in different configurations. I know I like options when routing hoses and such.

captain:
Makes me wonder what else gets skipped over in todays instruction..

Why would a new OW student need to know how may or what each port does? They already have alot of info to learn, why include unnecessary info.

We actually mention the info during the assy portion of the course, most students dont even pay attention

Hi Brutus,

I hope i have attached this image correctly; it's an illustration of the Scubapro MK2, one of the simplest 1st stage designs. It clearly illustrates that the HP port bypasses the piston mechanism of the 1st stage; thus, its function is basically to reflect the pressure of the cylinder. As others have said, LP ports are used for both of the second stages, as well as BC and drysuit inflation. Note that some companies choose to call LP ports MP (M=Medium) recognizing that the pressure is to be further reduced at the second stage to ambient.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom