Adjustment and proper fit on the Halcyon BP setup

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Genesis

Contributor
Reaction score
Where should the BP "sit" on your back?

As I have mine set up it is comfortable, but is it in the optimal place? My bottom strap is just above my hips, and does not interfere with my breathing at all.

Is there a "recommended" or "proper" place where the top of the BP should sit when you've got a tank locked down and the rig is on you?

(BTW, its very comfortable on me out of the water - I was surprised that it didn't dig into my shoulders badly with no padding on the straps and using only a T-shirt for protection.... I'm waiting for an Octo to arrive and a new inflator hose for my reg kit (I have an Air2 on my Nighthawk) so I can get this thing wet in OW - I will be doing some checks on it this evening in my pool for basic buoyancy, weighting, trim and such....)

The top of the backplate should be between your shoulder baldes. You should be able to reach back and touch the top of it.

I will play with it a bit - I can JUST reach it now, but its probably a half-inch to an inch "too low" by that computation....

The top of the plate should be at about the 2nd vertebrae. This will make the harness very snug, and slightly uncomfortable at first. In this position you should be able to reach the top of the plate. Which leaves less of an excuse to reach the tank valves.

The crotch strap is an important adjustment too. It should hold the waist strap below your diaphragm and should be snug.

While we're at it, we should probably talk about D-ring placement. If you hold your arms outstretched to your side, bring you hands in to your chest. Where your hands intersect the harness is a good start for the D-ring placement. Mine are about half an inch higher from this position.

Hope this helps. Think about taking the DIR-F class.
Ken

Where they show the plate with the harness on is significantly lower - at the bottom of the shoulder blades....

That's roughly where mine sits, and seems to be work reasonably well... why move it up?

Be careful of pictures as they are not always up to date or correct. Reason for having it high is trim and also easier to reach your valves in case you end up in the water with it/them turned off.

As stated above, it will feel too tight on the surface, but this is the evolution from how something looks and feels in a store, on land to how something performs underwater.

Tommy

Which was one of my concerns. Its not a problem - I can reach it.

I'll see what its like going "higher".... trim is something I'll have to play with to figure out exactly what the best orientation is for that....

How many fingers can you get between the harness and your body? Shouldn't be more than a few fingers... if you can get your hand or a fist in there, it's too loose. Again, the harness will be tight and hard to remove.

Another tip picked up from DIR-F, was tank positioning. Basically the top of the plate should be at about the break on the tank. Try the valve check again. I would imagine the tank would be further away.

Do what you will, there's no science to the fit. Just make sure the harness is secure. I've conveyed as much as I took away from the class. Take a DIR-F class for yourself.

Ken

You'd make a far more convincing argument if you actually made one.

As it stands, preaching at me to "take a DIR-F class" is not going to win any points. In fact, all the "hype" I've heard about DIR so far makes me want to puke rather than go in that direction.

The zealots have no idea how badly you run people off as a consequence of all the religion you inject into the equation.

... you're right. "Take a DIR-F class" isn't the best answer. Which is why I went back to edit the post.

Trim should be independent of tank placement, its your body mechanics. Specifically you're legs. If you bring your legs closer to your body while your knees are bent, you'll be upside down. Move your legs away from your body and you'll be upright. By adjusting your legs you're shifting the center of gravity (CG) of your body. CG forward, head down; CG backward head up. Horizontal trim is obviously a region between the two extremes.

DIR zealot... merely trying to help with facts. I don't think my original post was condenscending or arrogant. You asked for some advice (specifically where), the facts were given. Why was also given in the thread... sorry it wasn't specifically pointed out in my post. I thought it would be redundant. Still think it would be a good idea to take a DIR-F class if you're interested in learning more.

Ken

Back
Top Bottom