Cressi Archmede 2 LOG Mode Errors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stu S.

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Friends,

I've used an Archimede 2 computer for 19 dives. On three dives, including two on Saturday, the DIVE mode functioned as usual, but there was a non-diving related error in the LOG mode.

One dive on 5/13/2006 lasted 54 minutes. The LOG mode shows the dive starts at 15:46 and ends at 16:00. A 48 minute dive the same day displays the start as 13:58 and end at 14:06 The LOG mode displays the correct length of the dive, but does not correctly indicate the clock time that the dive was stopped. This happened also on March 17, making a 50 minute dive read as 10:58 in, and 11:08 out. The error between the two displays is constant at 40 minutes.

These three dives were ocean dives of a normal drift dive profile. The other 16 dives were recorded correctly. Fortunately, this does not affect the DIVE mode.

I understand there are Tusa, Dive-Rite and Apeks computers that are the same hardware and software. Has anyone else had this problem? What did you do about it?

Very Strange, IMHO you should send it back to cressi for a check-up.

Just verify, those dives where deeper than 5 feet???? The computer only starts to computer dive time below that depth

Yep. Known bug.

I was corresponding with Cressi-USA about it for a few months from September 05 - March 06 with the assistance of my LDS. They took back 2 of them from me for analysis, replacing them very promptly. The programmers in Japan determined that it was a stack overflow in the display routine, and did not affect dive status at all. They claimed to have corrected it, and then I waited 3 months for them to get the corrected units in stock. They replaced my 3rd unit with a supposedly corrected unit, and the same bug still exists! I gave up and decided not to worry about it.

It also affects the total dive hours in the History display.

The desktop software for downloading does record the times correctly, but it has bugs of it's own. It does not consider Nitrox for the tissue loading, NDL display and warnings. Nitrox works fine in the simulation module, but not in the dive record module. And it does not calculate SAC correctly when gas pressures are entered. Oh well. (I received the download unit for free from them for helping them to identify the bug in the computer, so I'm not complaining to them about that stuff. I'll let it ride.)

They were responsive and did follow up on the issue. I received a call from them (unsolicited) when they determined the error. Each returned unit was replaced through my LDS promptly. Possibly the error is fixed and I accidentally received an older, uncorrected unit. (Now that's giving them the benefit of the doubt, eh?) Like I said, I've just given up following up on it.

I do really like the computer. Nice display, nice feature set, nice price point, easy to use.

(EDIT: Stu S., sorry that I missed this when you originally posted it last month.)

Back
Top Bottom