Fish ID CD-ROMs -- Any experiences?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jeffsterinsf

Contributor
Reaction score
I've already bought and enjoy the Humann/DeLoach 4-volume reef set of books. I note that there is not only a CD-ROM version of these, but REEF also has a CD-ROM that appears to be called

ReefNet Identification CD-ROM Caribbean Fish
or
Fishes of the Caribbean and Adjacent Waters

http://www.reef.org/cgi-bin/shop.cgi
http://www.reef.org/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?action=show&product=CDROM_REEFNET&session=3U0GaRPf

I am wondering if any of the members has used either of these CD-ROMs and finds them of value in augmenting the Humann/DeLoach set. One of the things that would help me, since I actually can't dive in the Caribbean every day, is reasonable methods for learning the fish without the pleasure of having them readily available in front of my face.

TIA,

Jeff

I have the Human/DeLoach Florida/Caribean/Bahamas Fish ID CD. It was a helpful tool to learn to identify fish at a beginning level. There comes a point though, where you just need to get out in the water. I can identify the fish on the CD ROM close to %100, in part because I have memorized the photos from seeing them over and over again. Different members of the same species can look slightly different however. In the water, faced with a different member of the same species, with different markings or slightly different colors (and don't even get me started on juvenile vs initial phase vs terminal phase) I often find myself confused.

Nothing beats experience, and diving with and learning from divers who are more experienced at fish ID. The Ocean Watch Foundation gives free fish ID classes in Broward County. You can find them at http://www.oceanwatch.org.

By the way, I wasn't aware that there is another fish ID CD available from REEF. Are you sure this one is different? Both Human and DeLoach are founding members and members of the Board of Trustees. They occassionaly run expeditions that REEF members can participate in.

Will definitely be checking some of this stuff out - not for me but my 4 year old nephew!! I was showing him some of my pictures last week and it was truely amazing what he knows - the amount of stuff he correctly identified from photos that "local" DM's struggled to identify......

If I can keep him interested I guess I have a future buddy! Most kids seem to want to be policemen, firemen, footballers etc but he wants to become a marine biologist - I don't think I even knew those two words at his age!!

Cheers
Jonathan

...and I used to view it frequently. There are quizzes that help and some fun games. There's different pictures on the CD than you'll find in the ID books which help you learn them, not merely memorize a picture.

I get it out for a review just before leaving for a Caribbean dive trip for that final cramming session.

The Gobies, Blennies, and Snappers still give me trouble!

Jonathan -- your nephew sounds a lot like a friend of mine's son, Bob. We used to road rallye together (he drove, I was navagator), and I still remember people asking Bob, at about the age of two-and-a-little "WHat kind of car is this?" and hearing him answer with complete confidence (and correctly), " Saaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaab."

Keep him learning! No better time to gain an appreciation for the value of knowledge!

I had never heard of a Wobbygong (probably spelt wrong!) shark until this year and he was asking me if I had any pictures - luckily I had.... He loves drawing gulper eels (still not sure what they are - that's me not him!) and wants to dive into the midnight zone - I had better start saving for a submarine!

I wonder what he will really do in 20 years time....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom