Beach Dives in Myrtle Beach

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think it would be similar to being placed in a washing machine full of chocolate milk. Also nothing on the bottom but sand sand sand. There are some strong rips that might cause you to end up way down the beach. I see a long walk with heavy equipment. There is a good dive outfit there called Coastal Scuba. They have trips to near shore reefs where the vis is about 15 to 20 feet on average.

Thanks, We are diving with Coastal Scuba one day and Express watersports another. We have some great beach dives in the Outer Banks of NC so just wondering about SC. Thought with all the Civil War wrecks something might be close to shore.

I've not heard anything about artifact diving in Myrtle Beach. But some folks do that here in Charleston in the harbor and rivers. In the Cooper River, guys dive for the Megladon sharks teeth that are as big as a man's hand. That is black water diving and is a little too up close and personal in 6" vis with the gators for me. Hope you have a great time on your dives

Ditto what was said above, if you happen to get Andy the DM from CS, ask him for some of the history concerning the local dive sites, esp. the wrecks. Great source of information.

jgarysmith:
Thanks, We are diving with Coastal Scuba one day and Express watersports another. We have some great beach dives in the Outer Banks of NC so just wondering about SC. Thought with all the Civil War wrecks something might be close to shore.

How did your dives go with CS and EW?

My family is going to the Murrel's Inlet area of Myrtle Beach in the first week of July, and I'd like to dive near there. We are closer to EW, but also wonder about CS.

Staying in Murrell's Inlet, you're just down the street from Express. Coastal is in North MB so it could be an hour drive - especially in the afternoon/evening, a lot of the tourist attractions/dinner theaters are in that area - and there's really not enough alternate routes when the main freeway has a frequent delay(twice in the 5 days we drove in that area).

Notice that the divesites listing for either op are almost identical. Except that Coastal does more deep/all day trips. Personally I'd save the drive time and dive with Express. Especially if you're diving with the kids, they do a lot more shallow stuff. The DM stays on the boat unless you need a buddy though. Good group of DM's/staff also.

Know that most diving in that area consists of the dive site surrounded by flat sand bottom. And it can be pretty murky at that time of year, it was when we were there in late June - probably 30-40' max vis. The water will be bathtub warm by then also. The only reason to wear a t-shirt/skin is there can be small jellies in the water. We dove the Perry and some other wreck, plus two other sites, all were average.

If the kids are too small to dive but want to see the fish, Ripley's Aquarium at Broadway on the Beach in North MB is better than I expected. Lots of sharks and one of those huge 2-3 story tanks. And a lot of restaurants/stores and other entertainment at B on the B, even fireworks at night as I recall - you could easily spend 1/2 day there. Traffic was really bad up there at night though.

If you're a golfer, it's golf nirvana. But it's humid as h**l that time of year. There's some great restaurants in Murrells Inlet also, people drive down from MB for it.

Back
Top Bottom