Uh-Oh. Oriskany is down!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulwall

Contributor
Reaction score
http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060517/NEWS01/60517002/1006[/QUOTE]

The day's events are expected at first light when Jon Dodrill, environmental administrator for the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission, leads two small boats into the one-mile safety zone around the Oriskany to look for signs of endangered marine mammals, such as sea turtles.

The ship sank unexpectedly. They are hoping that it is upright. We likely won't know before this evening or tomorrow.

Had a great day out there, full report and pics up tomorrow hopefully :)

Too damned tired to do it tonight. LDS Owner heard over the radio that it settled upright by the way.

Great to hear, wish I could have been there for the sinking but I'll wait for the dust to settle and the vis to come back and head down this fall.

CD_in_Chitown:
Great to hear, wish I could have been there for the sinking but I'll wait for the dust to settle and the vis to come back and head down this fall.
When you do be sure to let me know. I am in for a trip this fall. I have been chomping at the bit to dive this one!

Dennis

Glad to hear it went well.....I might try and dive it in late June or July, Im sure it will be crowded every weekend for the next several months...

Yeah, I'm looking to get back sometime this summer when I can recoop some money. Got alot of plans between now and then that I will require empting my pockets first :p

paulwall:
UPDATE 11 a.m.: Oriskany has sunk
Larry Wheeler
11 a.m.: Oriskany has sunk. The last tip of the Oriskany's hurricane bow disappeared into the Gulf at approximately 11 a.m., approximately 36 minutes from the first explosions, a far cry from the five hours engineers originally estimated it would take for the ship to go down.

http://www.pensacolanewsjournal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060517/NEWS01/60517002/1006

I would love to see the full video from just before the first charge went off.Cant wait to get up there and dive her.I guess the engineers misplaced a decimal point.

To err is human - to foulup requires a typo.

Back
Top Bottom