Timex helix dive watch. How deep have you taken it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
They are rated to 50m, and I plan to dive mine to that depth, maybe deeper, just because I haven't decided what to buy as a replacement yet. If it breaks then so be it - I paid $30 for it so not a huge loss. However, if someone has already tried this, and knows they break for sure when taken deep then I might reconsider. Experiences?

*Floater*:
They are rated to 50m, and I plan to dive mine to that depth, maybe deeper, just because I haven't decided what to buy as a replacement yet. If it breaks then so be it - I paid $30 for it so not a huge loss. However, if someone has already tried this, and knows they break for sure when taken deep then I might reconsider. Experiences?

I've bought several and gave two to my nephews who have used it not more than 100 fsw without any problem. I haven't been able to use mine since the battery conveniently stops right before a dive. For $30, it's not a big loss and is a great back-up.

I've taken one to 140 fsw. It doesn't register past 130 fsw however. After that it just displays "Low".

Floater, I have taken it upto 150 fsw.... It displayed "errr" or "low". I think it isn't because of a pressure, but because of the water temperature.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's because of pressure (depth) according to the manual. It states that it will only register depth until 130 fsw and after that it will display "low" until you get above 130 fsw.

Oh~~ I though it is 50m, not 40m (130 ft).

Anyway, based on my experience, it also displayed "error or low" message even in the shallow water when the water temp is low.... In addition, mine didn't get back to normal even above 130 fw once I hit over 130 fw. It used to take one day back to normal.... LOL.

DO NOT EAT WATCH...
26804097_711f610ad9.jpg

130 ft several times one friend I gave one to dove the Andrea Doria with it.
I love mine I have several and have sold over 50. A couple tricks to remember lube the rear seal, don't pull the sticker off that goes over the battery cover. Use a straight pin to unlatch battery cover. And last if it goes blank or locks up there is a small reset button inside the back cover it is recessed.

Just to clarify: you're talking about using a $30 device as your primary timing unit for a dive that will exceed the recreational dive limit (50m = ~166 feet) by a whole atmosphere?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against these units, but this scenario just doesn't make sense to me.

KrisB:
Just to clarify: you're talking about using a $30 device as your primary timing unit for a dive that will exceed the recreational dive limit (50m = ~166 feet) by a whole atmosphere?

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing against these units, but this scenario just doesn't make sense to me.

No. I also have an Oceanic Versa pro in gauge mode as my primary, but it doesn't show seconds which I like to see sometimes. The Timex Helix dive watch does, and it acts as a backup bottom timer (down to 40m). I'm still deciding whether to buy a nice dive watch or a second computer to be used in gauge mode to replace it.

Since I posted this thread I've dove the Helix down to about 50m +/- 5m many times and even took it down to 60m once and have had not problems so far (in warm water). The depth display shuts off past 40m (as per manual), but returns when I come back above 40m.

I don't think anyone would use a dive watch as a primary dive unit. But just because its $30 doesn't make it cheap. I just came from Aruba where my Timex worked fine for 10 dives and my friends Suunto his wife just bought him died on the second dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom