Alabama Point Jetties 5-16-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I picked up Mikey Tuesday and we headed out to Orange Beach to meet up with jwhitlock around 12:30PM to dive the jetties. The seas were completely flat and the water had a nice torquoise color to it. Water temps on the surface were in the mid 70s and the upper 60sF at depth. Visibility was in the 10-15' range with a ton of particle and other junk floating midwater. Dive plan was to run down to the point, turn the dive(drift back with current), and exit at entry to avoid the long walk on the other side of the jetty; or turn at a 1200psi. We'd all be looking for flounder and had polespears to help 'round em up'.

The dive lasted an hour and I hit a max depth of 32' in the channel. I took 3 flounder, jwhitlock took 2, and Mikey got skunked. The current had changed before we turned our dive so we fought current down to the point and on the way back which required a short surface swim back to our entry. All in all, I think everyone had a good easy dive at the jetties and it produced fish - can't complain with that! :)

I had great time........Cant wait to go again!!!!!! Now I'm addicted to pole spearing and I am for sure going to run out and buy one.......

Tides look favorable for a jetty dive on Sunday afternoon, or we can dive the Whiskey - which would you rather? :)

Welcome to ScubaBoard

Are you the guy who was asking about the wreck as we were gearing down? I think you had a girl with you or something? Atleast if you are who I'm guessing you might be.

Feel free to join us for a dive if you'd like to see it next time. Might be going out Sunday.

That was indeed me...I was gearing up at the back of my truck with the large chested young lady in tow. It would be nice to see it, I went out till it hit 13-15' but never did find it. I surfaced and checked my position with the Bahama Bob's sign, still no dice though. The current and surge started picking up pretty good, so I just went back in. Thanks for the invite though, it would be great to join you guys for a swim. I just vaccumed the sand out of the truck yesterday from that little trip, so I need to put some more sand back in. I do have a pole spear that I need to use one of these days. Is there a license requirement here?

Vis was **** that day if I remember correctly. I think 1-3' at most. We had to stay within a foot of the wreck to keep tabs on it and the surge was running us into it. You should have eventually smacked right into it.

There is a spearfishing liscense you'll need to get. You can pick them up at the Marine Fisheries office in Gulf Shores(by the airport) and I think you can pick them up in Daphin Island. Costs like $6 with instate liscense, not sure about out of stater's.

Gonna dive the Alabama Point Jetties Sunday for sure, I'm going to bring an extra tank incase anyone wants to hit the Whiskey before or afterwards.

Meeting at the parking area on Gulf drive(last paved road on right before you hit the parking area before the bridge at Perdido Pass) at 4PM to dive the jetties.

If you want to dive the Whiskey before, I can be there earlier. Probably want to get onsite by 1-1:30 to keep enough time to meet up with anyone wanting to meet up with us at the jetties.

If we dive Whiskey afterwards, we just head there after diving the jetties - probably close to 6PMish.

Back
Top Bottom