VT Pro computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

reidman

Registered
Reaction score
Well I purchased a Oceanic VT Pro dive computer with transmitter. First I would like to say if you are like me and cant see real good up close this is the computer for you. I can see the graphs and the numbers with ease underwater at 130 ft. That said I will tell you of my small problem. I went to Aruba last week for 7 days of diving and on the second dive the battery light started flashing and then nothing. Glad I have a dive watch and gauges. In any case I returned to Hotel and started my trek to find a battery. If you have ever been to an Island you know my dilemma. You can buy whole camera's but not a battery. After paying a cab driver $20.00 to take us to a small town we looked for 2 hours (of course my wife looked at everything else slowed us down) to find a battery. Finally we found a small drug store that had a Duracell 2450 Lithium battery. Well $15.00 latter I was back in business computer worked fine now but I lost 2 dive profiles. Oh well no big deal but $35.00 total for a battery on a week old $800 dive computer was a little upsetting. Well here is where all becomes better then well. I got home from Aruba emailed Scubatoys & Oceanic and basically just complained about a battery that should have been good when I bought computer.
Within minutes ScubaToys emailed me a credit for $35.00 for my troubles and hour latter Oceanic emailed me for my address to send me a new battery package free of charge. Well is that service or what!!!
I don't think I will be buying from any other dive shop any time soon and Oceanic has my business!

Reidman,

ALWAYS keep extra batteries in your save-a-dive kit.

Even if you can't pack it with you on your trips, stash a couple of batteries somewhere.

But, I guess you've figured that out, huh? :wink:

Yep, the combo of Scuba Toys and Oceanic can't be beat . . .

the K

Hi reidman,

Our apologies. S*** happens sometimes I guess, it's great to see that both your Authorized Dealer and our Customer Service Department treated you the way they would have liked to be treated. I can't tell you how many times I've been in a similar situation with one gadget or another and had the retailer and manufacturer spending much more effort blaming each other than it would have taken to solve the problem.

The willingness of Doug and Larry to handle problems like this in this fashion is what gets them the "goodwill" they receive and deserve from this board.
Tom

My son and I both have VT Pro's and love them (although my son's flooded on our last trip following a battery change by our LDS). I love the size of the screen. I wish we could get a firmware upgrade that would allow me to flip between my transmitter and his the way the new model does. My objection to the new model (besides having to buy it :) is that the screen is much smaller and I love the big screen on the VT Pro.

I think the VT Pro is destined to be one of those sought after "older" computers.

the K

Thanks for the replies Thanks Doug I will now keep spares! The real story of course was not the failed battery it was the exemplary service from both Oceanic & ScubaToys. Its reviews like this that help other divers know what to buy and from where.

just a question, but good lord, how big is that screen to be able to see it at 130' underwater.... and talk about good water clarity ...

wouldn't it have been easier to just use a computer that was on your wrist instead?

:wink:

Back
Top Bottom