O2 cleaning SPG's?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have a few SPG's that I used for back gas before, and at the time I lubed the o-rings in them with regular silicone grease because that's all I had. I'm now planning to use them for deco gas (EAN50 or O2), so I washed the (viton) o-rings, wiped the parts they had been in contact with to the best of my ability, then re-lubed them with christo-lube and put the them back together. Is that enough, or should I do something more with them?

*Floater*:
I have a few SPG's that I used for back gas before, and at the time I lubed the o-rings in them with regular silicone grease because that's all I had. I'm now planning to use them for deco gas (EAN50 or O2), so I washed the (viton) o-rings, wiped the parts they had been in contact with to the best of my ability, then re-lubed them with christo-lube and put the them back together. Is that enough, or should I do something more with them?

If it was me...... I'd buy a new one and dedicate it to O2. Cleaning guages requires an apparatus that first pressurizes the bourbon tube and then quickly pulls a vacuum. Very very hard to duplicate.

On the other hand, I suspect the reason SPG's are so infrequently exploding has more to do with the size of the orfice in the HP hose fitting. That hole is so tiny that you cannot pressurize a SPG rapidly if you were foolish enough to snap open the valve on an O2 tank.

I would make real sure the HP hose was squeeky clean.

Tobin

cool_hardware52:
On the other hand, I suspect the reason SPG's are so infrequently exploding has more to do with the size of the orfice in the HP hose fitting. That hole is so tiny that you cannot pressurize a SPG rapidly if you were foolish enough to snap open the valve on an O2 tank.

speaking of which, did anyone ever see a reg explode because of O2 and not being 100% clean? what acrually does happen? explosion? burn? internal charring?

Tamas:
speaking of which, did anyone ever see a reg explode because of O2 and not being 100% clean? what acrually does happen? explosion? burn? internal charring?

I've never seen one, hope it stays that way.

What I've heard reported is... the fire starts in the first stage or valve, and then proceeds to consume the low pressure hoses, using them for fuel.

O2 fires happen, check with the RB community. About a year ago a dive boat in Arabian Sea burned to the waterline after a RB burst into flames.

Tobin

Regretfully, I had an O2 fire while mixing nitrox. I thought I respected O2 before but since the fire I have a whole new appreciation for what can happen.

The fire occurred at the supply regulator on a 2500 psi, 330cf bottle of 02. This 02 regulator was new and only used on about 8 bottles when I switched to the problem bottle (three other full bottles where lashed to the wall next to this one). The regulator came off a near empty O2 bottle and immediately installed in the full cylinder. I cracked the bottle valve slowly when things went bad. It appeared that something in the either the first stage of the regulator or the first stage pressure gauge touched off then caused the flame to propagate through the regulator and blowing out through the the brass body of the regulator. The brass became fuel for the fire as flames blew out of the regulator at a pretty significant flow in a few directions. After significant back pedaling I found I didn't have a path for egress and was forced to reach in and shut down the valve. Luckily I got it shut down before it ignited our equipment building and I didn't suffer any injuries. Things could have turned out much worse.

The O2 vendor made a special trip to our shop on a Saturday to pick up the cylinders for evaluation. The regulator got sent back to the manufacturer via our nitrox blender dealer/manufacturer. The O2 vendor said they couldn't find anything in their bottles or valves. We have never heard back from the regulator manufacturer even though I made numerous calls to inquire.

My suspicions:
1. Debris (fuzz, bug, etc) in the O2 bottle valve.
2. Faulty preparation/cleaning of the 02 regulator.
3. Sticky valve on 02 bottle. Even with great care some valves just don't open linearly.

Not that I wasn't careful before, however now, I inspect the connections prior to installing the regulator, I give great care and patience in cracking the bottle valves now and I also leave my self a path for egress if required.

Interesting case..please notify us once you have got futher info about this because could be quite useful to avoid similar cases...

Could you specify how did you buy/rent this reg?

The regulator was new and purchased through the vendor of our continuos blender. Since we returned the regulator to the vendor last September and haven't heard anything yet, I'm doubting the regulator manufacturer is interested in getting back to us. I tried a few times to get the contact information from the blender manufacturer but he passed away at Christmas last year and nobody else in his company has been able to help me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom