Choosing a computer? help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mvtek:
UWATEC Aladin series or Vyper, Geko series? What do you guys think? May get into nitrox at some point.

All good and will do the job, you may also consider an Aeris Atmos II or an oceanic. I bought a Gekko recently and have been very satisfied with it. Lots of threads here asking this question. You may want to look over some of them.

AL

There are plenty of good computers out there and a whole lot more threads about them here on SB.
The main questions you need to ask yourself are
1. Nitrox
2. console or wrist
3. air intergrated or seperate SPG
4. Download capable

I dive with a Cobra, but I managed to pick up a second hand Mosquito yesterday for a good price. So I can use that as a backup or for freediving.

if i may chime in, Packhorse is on to something

these would be my answers:

1. nitrox: yes. the flexibility to dive nitrox in the future is worth it

2. wrist: with an SPG clipped to your BC and a computer on your wrist, you're set. no bulky console to drag around. more importantly, you can always keep your eye
on a wrist computer with little effort (no reaching back to grab the console)

3. no air integration: air integration doubles your price and adds no value. use
a simple, bullet-proof SPG.

4. i don't care about download capable: it adds to the cost, plus you have to
buy cables, software, whatnot. you're talking an extra bundle. why not just
write your dives into your logbook direct from your computer?

as you can see, cost is my main issue. there are many rock-solid computers
out there that do what you need them to do for a good price.

i'd shop around and get the cheapest one that does what you want.

Andy, the download lets you see how much your SAC has improved over time and you can print out neat graphs. :D

oh, if there's anything i hate more than tracking my SAC is neat graphs!!

:wink:

And you can print out the graphs with your dive data, 3-hole punch it, and put it in your log book. So uber-geek and anal. How can you not love it? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom