Aqualung purchasing blues...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offroaddiver

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I've heard that aqualung doesn't honor their own lifetime warrantee if you do not buy their regulators through an authorized dealer. Now here comes the big ?... I'm looking at leisurepro.com and they have the regulator i want at $150 less that the LDS that carries the same. That is including difference with shipping and taxes accordingly.
I've heard that aqualung WILL NOT honor the warrantee if bought through LP .
Is this true? Will LP take care of any problems with the regulator? What all do I have to do to keep the warrantee intact?

IS THIS REALLY WORTH THE $150 FOR ALL THIS TROUBLE?

I called the LDS and asked them prices to confirm all this. Now get this. $30 extra to install any equipment bought in the LDS on the first stage (including gauges, octo, etc.) There is a $70 charge for items not bought in the store (ie. if i bring a lp hose that goes to a drysuit in)
Now here's another kicker...if i install anything on my own on this stage the warrantee is null and void.

Is this LDS an example of what to expect or should i just get whatever I want and just forget this troubles?

Side note the regulator I am wanting to purchase is the aqualung legend lx supreme

Oh Please someone start - I was pondering the EXACT same thing! that is why i got on today!

offroaddiver:
Now get this. $30 extra to install any equipment bought in the LDS on the first stage (including gauges, octo, etc.) There is a $70 charge for items not bought in the store (ie. if i bring a lp hose that goes to a drysuit in)
Now here's another kicker...if i install anything on my own on this stage the warrantee is null and void.

Is this LDS an example of what to expect or should i just get whatever I want and just forget this troubles?
It's a really crappy LDS. If you buy it all there, it's reasonable to expect them to assemble, adjust and flow test it for free - especially on a major purchase like a regulator, octo and instrument console. It's exactly that level of service that justifies the higher purchase price charged by an LDS. It's really poor customer service to ask you to pay more for the item and then ask you to pay again for a level of service that should have went with the sale.

Personally, if you install a dry suit hose or console yourself, I am pretty sure they would not remember if it had the hose or console on it or not next year when you get it serviced. If they push it, have them prove you did not have another Aqualung dealer install it while you were on vacation.

I also don't see Aqualung voiding a warranty because you added a hose, or even an octo unless you managed to damage the threads or did something else to abuse rr mistreat the reg causing a failure.

It is true that a grey market/internet/leisure pro reg is not eligible for an Aqualung warranty and it is reasonable to expect any LDS to be less than thrilled with adjusting/assembling or servicing a reg bought on the internet.

I would also not count on stellar regulator service from leisure pro. Mail order reg service and reapir is demanding as if you adjust it even slightly wrong, the customer has to send to back to you for correction and that costs the customer time and significant money for shipping - compared to the minor inconvenience of going back into the local dive shop for an adjustment.

I would however find another dive shop, as if they are treating a big ticket item customer this badly, it is not going to get nay better down the road.

As for avoiding Aqualung, their pricing/dealer policies are pretty standard compared to the rest of the industry - at least in comparision to other major companies so boycotting them and buying from another company with similar polices makes very little sense. If you like the Aqualung legend more than other brands/models you have seen or tried, then just get the Legend.

The stuff about voiding the warranty if you install your own dry suit hose is total bull crap. It is true that LP items are not covered under the factory warranty. If you want warranty service you have to send it back to them and wait however long to get it back. My question is if you are going to buy the reg from LP why are you not just buying the whole shebang and getting LP to assemble or just do it yourself? I'd bet if you bought everything thru your lds you could get it assembled at no charge, get the full warranty and not have to worry about it again. If they charge you to assemble if you buy everything from them then they are full of it. But if you buy it from them and they do not charge you, give you the full FACTORY warranty, and see you as a good customer you may end up getting a break here and there in the long run that could end up being worth more than what you save on the reg from LP. Many do not see this. Our regular, good customers get little goodies here and there as well as discounts on some items that Joe Schmoe who stops in once a year to look and complain about how high prices are and how he can get it cheaper from the net will never see.

Find another LDS. If you buy a complete reg from a LDS I expect it to come assembled and tested at the price for the reg. I think it is insane that shops are trying to get every penny out of someone that buys there. Ask around your area from other divers and get a recommendation for shops. I have bought most of my gear from one LDS. I just wait for their sales and the few bucks I pay over the Internet is worth it. My shop is a great shop. [ Underwater Works in Tigard Or ]

If I did buy a reg on the Internet I would have no problem paying for the parts on the annual service. Remember you still pay for the service at a dealer for the annual, you just do not pay for parts if you buy it at a dealer.

If you can develop a relationship with a LDS that is the best way to go in my opinion.

Good Luck.

Charles
:D

To add a little, read the warranty carefully. What you will find is ONLY internal parts are covered, hoses are your problem. Rebuild kits, which is what the "free parts" really are, run in the $20-50 range and you must follow the required service interval. Be late on once and the warranty is void anyway. Bottom line, the warranty is not a big deal.

offroaddiver:
I've heard that aqualung doesn't honor their own lifetime warrantee if you do not buy their regulators through an authorized dealer. Now here comes the big ?... I'm looking at leisurepro.com and they have the regulator i want at $150 less that the LDS that carries the same. That is including difference with shipping and taxes accordingly.
I've heard that aqualung WILL NOT honor the warrantee if bought through LP .
Is this true? Will LP take care of any problems with the regulator? What all do I have to do to keep the warrantee intact?

IS THIS REALLY WORTH THE $150 FOR ALL THIS TROUBLE?

I called the LDS and asked them prices to confirm all this. Now get this. $30 extra to install any equipment bought in the LDS on the first stage (including gauges, octo, etc.) There is a $70 charge for items not bought in the store (ie. if i bring a lp hose that goes to a drysuit in)

Side note the regulator I am wanting to purchase is the aqualung legend lx supreme
THEY DON'T HONOR THE LIFETIME WARRANTY ? ....... Who would have thunk it .... check out the thread www.scubaboard.com/t70450-.html about problems with warranties ..........

My advice is find out a repair person in your area. Many shops send things out.

Find someone you like and trust and do direct. Now, forget about warranties. Now, buy at

the best price. Oh--and find another brand.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom