Scubapro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We've just done a test on air/gas-integrated dive computers, including the Smart Com, and our over-riding impression was that it is quite a bit, chunky unit.

It works well, don't get me wrong, but it is just quite a size, especially compared with Suunto's Cobra.

If size isn't an issue, it will serve you well, but I just don't like having something that bulky on the end of my hi-pressure hose.

Mark

I have a Smart Com and I'm selling it. I recently bought the new Suunto D6 so I really don't have a need for the Smart Com now. I really liked the Smart Com but it has it's up's and down's like every computer. It's very sensative but then again I suppose in most cases that's a good thing.

I normally have pretty positive comments about Scubapro equipment, but that does not apply to Scubapro computers as they have generally been disappointing since Scubapro/Uwatec both fell under Johnson Worldwide. They are overpriced, do not have user replaceable batteries and have a bad habit of being recalled.

In short our LDS does not sell many smart coms. You can get the same or better performance and features for less money and get a computer with a user replaceable battetry to boot if you go with something else.

I have a SmartCom and like it a lot. It displays a lot of useful information and downloads more. I have never felt that the size was a problem for any reason. More compact computers tend to have smaller displays, which can mean less information or that it's harder to read (at least for those of us who need reading glasses). It depends on what you are looking for in a computer and what is important to you. One good thing about the SmartCom is that it lets you choose a level of conservatism by selecting levels of microbubble suppression. Lots of people seem to like Suunto computers, which tend to be very compact, but they use a very conservative algorithm, generally allowing shorter bottom times than Uwatec and other computers. That gives you an extra margin of safety, but at the cost of bottom time. Like most of the decisions about computers, there are trade-offs. Some people do not like the fact that the battery is not user-replaceable, but those of us who use Uwatec computers don't find that a problem. The battery is good for a very long time and the replacements are free. I haven't had to have mine replaced yet, but I have heard from others that it does not take long to get it back. A SmartCom is a good option.

I have just over 100 dives on my SmartCom...simplicity, large display with all information readily viewable. However, I discovered a preference for a wrist-mounted computer and purchased the SmartZ...all the features of the SmartCom at the wrist.

Well I've just got one and did my first dive with it on Sunday. I was impressed with the computer, but am having problems with the SmartTrak software (that's a whole different story though). I like the microbubble algorithms and how the computer takes into account your breathing rate, the water temperature etc.

All in all I would recommend it, but need to do more dives to give a certain recommendation. I would be interested to know what level of conservatism the Smart Com owners have on their computer. I am thinking of L1 for my normal dives (up to around 20m), and for deep dives I'll push up the conservatism a bit (maybe up to L5 for dives over 35m).

I wanted a Uwatec Smart Tech before. When I went to my Local Dive Shop it was huge. But the functions... oh la la!
Ended up getting a Vytec DS Hoseless.
If you have a large arm/wrist and the $$$ go for it. Dont forget the integrated wireless transmitter.

I have a Prime, and after you learn to use it, it's great. I have really become pretty fond of mine.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom