Sea Elite Regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mixter

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone had any experience with Sea Elite regulators? I bought Sea Elite reg systen and my instructor advised me he would not allow me to use it for my open water dive for certification. Are they any good?

Your instructor prob works for a shop that wants to sell you a higher priced regulator.

If he pulls that on you, it's simple find another instructor.

Sea Elite regulators are the "house brand" of Divers Supply. They don't make their regulators, but the same people who make the other "name brands" make them and they put their logo on it. However, their regulators are rather simple and basic.
You'll find some people here who like them, but you'll also find many people in the dive industry who "bash" them. They were easy to bash since they were cheaper and they were one of the big "mail order" houses that cut into LDS profits.

While you can buy a better regulator, there is no reason that a Sea Elite regulator should keep you from joining an open water class. I'd find a new instructor.

I bought a Sea Elite reg about 10 years ago. (I've dive a different reg now though but I still have the Sea Elite) But I Never had one problem with it. I took it to my LDS to have it serviced one day many years ago and the LDS owner who has always "heard the same stuff about Sea Elite" said that he was surprised by it.... He was expecting a much crappier regulator and it was made much better than he thought when they serviced it. He said it was very basic and simple in design, but that was not a bad thing.

From what I understand, their high end regulator is well liked by the people who have bought it, including a few Scubaboarders.

The Sea Elite is like the Jeep of regulators. It's a real workhorse, and I love mine. I find that it breathes just as easy at 34fsw as it does at 134fsw. I've never had a bit of trouble with mine, and it wasn't very cheap, either. The Sea Elite Tex X wasn't chump change.

Specs and a good price on them, too!
http://www.diverssupplyusa.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=16856

Mixter:
...and my instructor advised me he would not allow me to use it for my open water dive for certification. Are they any good?

No comment on Sea Elite regs. No knowledge.

Had a similar experience with my OW course. They gave me a hard time about using my regs during training. I bought a reg set and BC from another dealer. Regs were the same manufacturer as what the training shop was carrying. BC was one I wanted they didn't carry. They told me it was a safety issue of the regs and BC being properly serviced. I brought in my service records. They caved when it came down to giving me my course money back or letting me use my gear. They were sore I didn't buy from them. I had already spent about $1300 in that store on other stuff and training. I got through the OW course but, it was clear they didn't like it. Their loss. I took AOW, Nitrox, and I'm signed up for Rescue at another shop. Dropped a couple more thousand on gear, trips, and training since in the process. The first store did me a favor. They made me look for a better shop.

The Sea Elite reg is a great reg. At Divers Supply the Sea Elite Sport is what is used in the training and rental equipment(at least in Charlotte but I would imagine at all the stores). It is a bullet proof reg. I own a couple of the Tek-X and at 100ffw they breath as well as my Mk 25 S600 to me. I would say that your instructor had issues with where you purchased your equipment.
Dive Safe, Dive Often,
Butch:14:

I dont know anything about the regs, but I can speak of their Can lights. Bought one for 450-, and come to find out, it is a Salvo light. About as good as they get, for nearly half the price of the H brand, (also a Salvo). I also own their doubles manifolds, and they are absolutely first class quality. I can't imagine the regs are too far off. Tell your shop to stuff it.

Isnt it the same reg as the Dive-Rite one? its supposed to be great. I almost bought it. Instead I got a apeks xtx-200 from phil.

Sea Elite,Aquatec and others are actually your NAME BRAND regs befor they leave Taiwan. That also goes for manifolds,fins, masks,wetsuits etc.

Nothing wrong with them and cave divers use the Sea Elite iso manifold under various "brand" names.

I am about to start selling Aquatec regs which often go under the name of Apeks.

Ron

Seraphimx:
Isnt it the same reg as the Dive-Rite one? its supposed to be great. I almost bought it. Instead I got a apeks xtx-200 from phil.

It's an Aquatec reg,RG-2000 and anodized black.

Ron

Mixter:
Has anyone had any experience with Sea Elite regulators? I bought Sea Elite reg systen and my instructor advised me he would not allow me to use it for my open water dive for certification. Are they any good?

Several distributors use the same OEM source. Dive-Rite and the Sea Elite models buy from the same manufacturer. Other minor distributors use the same OEM. A basic clone regulator.

Back
Top Bottom