Regulators "which one"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DVW1726

Registered
Reaction score
I'm considering new dive gear and it's come down to 2 Regs, a Subapro MK25/600 or Atomic Aquatics B2. I think these two companies build the best regs in my opinion, especially the Atomic. I also like the MK25/600 and T2 in titanium but are the really worth the extra cash. Opinions please

personally i think titanium is a gimmick, and you get nothing for your money

those are both great regs. i'd go on price and service availability near you

Scubapro has a much wider dealer network and service is much easier to find on trips if you need it. You are also more liekly to have a Scubapro delaer nearby if you move someday.

Performance wise, you'll be happy with either one.

Titanium will cost you about twice as much from either company. It is lighter, but unless you travel a lot and are always a couple pounds over airline weight limits it offers no real advantage as you have to add the extra weigh back as lead once you get to the dive site. Personally, if I my bags were a pound or two overweight, I'd rather solve the problem by carrying my heavier brass reg in a carry on.

Titanium is also limited to O2 mixes no higher than 40% while a properly cleaned brass first stage can operate with mixes up to 100%. Chrome plated brass also has a very good history of longevity in a marine environment with regs lasting 30 plus years if properly maintained. It will take at least 20 more years before the same thing can be determined regarding titanium regs.

Just purchased the B2 and it's awesome! I was considering the T2 but I think you have to dedicate it to nitrox only

HippieBuk:
Just purchased the B2 and it's awesome! I was considering the T2 but I think you have to dedicate it to nitrox only
Any nitrox reg needs to be dedicated to nitrox and if air is used it needs to be nitorx compatible and must meet the same standards as nitrox (basically grade E air but with much lower hydrocarbon content.)

OK, just a quick point. The B2 is Brass/Chrome first stage, Titanium in second. The titanium in the second is NOT a consideration with high oxygen % because the pressure in the second stage is NEVER high enough to be worried about. When a first stage is made of Titanium (the atomic T2 not the B2) I start to be concerned with high oxygen because at 3000+ psi there can and has been problems with high oxygen.

I would happily use a B2 that I have cleaned on an 100% oxygen deco bottle (not recommending this just stating that I would). I wouldn't however because I have lots of great Oceanic regs to use however!

Between the two choices you asked about the B2 would be my choice. The performance is slightly higher (not that you'd ever notice...) and the quality is first notch. Plus you only need to service every second year.

OR... you could check out a Delta 4, save some coin towards a dive trip and have one kick you know what regulator!

DA Aquamaster:
Any nitrox reg needs to be dedicated to nitrox and if air is used it needs to be nitorx compatible and must meet the same standards as nitrox (basically grade E air but with much lower hydrocarbon content.)

It's regulated that way in Europe (also has regulated specific unique fittings), it is not regulated that way in the US and IMHO regs that are being used with less than 40% Oxygen content are not an issue with switching between air and nitrox use. If you get an honestly "dirty" fill from an air fill then you need to clean your reg and tank even if you just dive air anyhow.

Best,

Chris

I appeciate everyones input, I'm pretty much a salt water diver so I probably will never use nitrox. But I heard the same thing. Nitrox and titanium don't mix well together over 40%

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom