Hi from Pinetop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey AZ people, I'm new to ScubaBoard. I got certified in Guantanamo Bay last year while I was there on deployment, and made it to Advanced OW with 32 dives. Now I'm back home in the White Mountains and wanting to stay active. I tried Fool Hollow Lake near Show Low in December, and it was like chocolate milk. I also tried a San Diego boat dive to the Yukon in February - yuck. No viz at all. (I know, I'm spoiled.) Are there any good lake dive sites near the Valley?

-Terry

Welcome to the board Terry. I don't do much lake diving but Lake Pleasant (NW of Phoenix) and Lake Mead (SW of Las Vegas) seem to be the most popular. There is a Lake Pleasant AZScuba get together on July 30 ([thread=142153]click here for thread[/thread]), if that's too far away, some folks are diving on the 24th, next Wednesday at Lake Pleasant, but that's middle of the week and quite a drive for you. Sorry you got no viz diving the Yukon, I haven't had the chance yet, I dove at La Jolla Shores last weekend and there was 40' viz, I imagine the Yukon would have been nice then too. Next time catch a boat or the ferry to Catalina, that is as close to a sure thing as there is in SoCal, beach diving is hit or miss.

Garrett

Lake Pleasant has about 15-20ft of viz and you can see some fish when diving there. It is a great local lake to go diving in. As for other places around here, San Carlos about 8 hrs. from Phoenix where the diving is good, from what I hear. I need to make a weekend trip down there sometime soon, just to see it for myself. I've been diving at Pleasant now two times and can't wait to do it again. If there is a weekend that will work for you, let me know and I would be willing to meet you out there for a day of diving.

Welcome to the Board, Terry. Lake Mohave, Lake Mead, and Lake Pleasant are the only decent lakes in Arizona to dive. You might be able to make it to the Blue Hole in Santa Rosa, NM pretty easily, too. Think about coming down to Lake Pleasant when you can.

Thanks for the info, everyone. I appreciate it.

I'm off to Honolulu for four weeks of Navy Reserve duty starting the middle of next week. Hopefully I can find some good local spots to add to my log book while I'm there. When I get back in early July, I'd like to meet up with you Lake Pleasant regulars and try it out....

-Terry

Welcome to Scuba Board Terry.

Welcome to the board. Always good to meet another AZ Diver

Hey
Terry I am up in the Holbrook area and am ex Navy. Welcome to the area. let me know when you wnat to go on a dive and we can set something up. I am on my way to Mexico in the morning so talk to you later..Rob

Welcome Terry - Small World! I did my OW and AOW in Gitmo 1989/1990! You can NEVER compare that water with anywhere on the planet. I dove Cancun, Cozumel, & Sea of Cortez, and none were even close.
As for local - I have heard there is a sandy beach at Saguaro with a bus and a helicopter to dive - maybe someone else could explain?
Just got back from San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico last month, and it was cold as hell! 59 low-64 high! The sea lions were worth the trip. May I recommend Gary's Dive Boats while in San Carlos.
Again, welcome to AZ Scuba!

Desert Pig, the sandy beach is pretty shallow. It's quite a swim out to any kind of depth. There are better entries at Saguaro - the boat ramps or key hole, but the viz has gotten really bad there. And from what I understand the bus and helicopter are so degraded they are dangerous to dive now. S&R doesn't even dive them anymore, which is why they were put there in the first place. Mohave has a bus and van that are easy to access and still safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom