Inexpensive dive-friendly watch for a new diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjpv

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi guys,

I'm a newly certified diver and my instructor recommended we buy an inexpensive dive-friendly watch to use with our dive planners until we are ready for computers.

Not looking for anything fancy - something that will be ok in the water, nice clear display of time and (perhaps) depth. I'm a student so my budget is... modest :wink:

Any suggestions? Thanks!

St Moritz makes some nice watches. I own a Momentum one and it works great for me. You can get them for under $100 online. No depth though, just a watch.

Swatch Scuba... pretty good, gives you the depth, time & somewhat a dive profile, worth something like 100$ max.

else the Citizen proMaster is good too, many others on market, check a few out in dive stores or often in shipshandlers stores.

On a student budget, it would be hard to beat a Freestyle or a Casio. Don't worry if it says "water-resistant" and not "water-proof." The truth-in-advertising rules on "water-proof" are so stringent that there are very few watches labeled that way, and they are expensive. You can get a Freestyle or Casio suitable for diving for as little as $40.

I dive with a Casio Gshock-not too expensive, waterproof to 200m,and a a lot of different styles.
One thing to be sure to check- some styles have buttons that are tough to push if you are wearing gloves.

Mike

Assuming you have a depth gauge, I got a very cheap waterproof watch at the drug store (-$20) and I use the stopwatch as a backup bottom timer. It's been on about 50 dives to 100fsw and when it breaks or the battery wears out, I'll throw it away and get another one for -$20. Save your money for a computer.

I have a ironman edition timex that has great features that I've used for the last 3 years of diving. I saw the newer version (new colors) today at Target for $30. Countdown timer and lap memory is a must if you use it as a bottom timer.

I use a Timex Ironman. On the Timex watches it must be rated water resistant to 200m to use the buttons underwater. Has a handy count down timer that I use on a safety stop.

About 15 years ago my wife found a Casio digital watch at the beach. I have been useing it as a back-up ever since. It's been to 200' plus without any problems. I don't think they are very expensive and certainly not attractive but seem very tough.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom