Breath-Holding Advice for U/W Swimming

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

annasea

Contributor
Reaction score
While this isn't a snorkeling/freediving question per se, I thought the people here would be most qualified to offer assistance.

I'll be working on NAUI's OW course very soon and am looking for suggestions regarding successfully completing my 20M underwater swim.

I can currently do approximately 15M, but I don't seem to be able to push pass this point on my own. (My instructor believes if I can do 15M, he'll have me doing 20M with very little difficulty but I'm not so sure. He sees the issue as primarily being a state of mind.)

The problem, of course, is the desire to breathe becomes overwhelming and I shoot to the surface for air. Also, I'm frequently *anxious* before each attempt.

Does anyone have any advice they'd like to share? Other than trying to remain calm, is there something I should be doing besides practicing what I'm presently doing? (It just doesn't seem to be enough.)

Thank you! :)

I know you said, dont say "remain calm" but......

If I recall you have been working this skill for a few months so I'll try not to repeat earlier ideas.

Beyond that assuming you got a few good cleansing breaths and go down with a moderate chest of air you need to be deliberate in your actions.

When the urge becomes apparent try distraching your self or even flexing your chest muscles as if to redistribute air in there. I don't know if this actually does anything but as the least it's a distraction technique.

Try making dives that are in your conmfort zone but after you surface delay clearing your snorkel. You'll be one blow from your next brerath so you can in effect extend your dive with minimum tension, anxiety or wehatever you might want to call it.

Do you have a time set to work on this as mentioned with your instructor?

Do you have your wetsuit or can you easily rent? Getting out to make some open water skin dives is now a real option and will be of benefit.

Pete

From what someone told me about breath hold diving....it is a buildup of CO2 that makes you want to breath. When you seem to hit the wall and want to breath, let out some of your breath and keep going. Maybe thats crap but it seemd to help me.

Shawn95,

I'm already exhaling at the end of most u/w swimming attempts. I guess what I'm looking for are suggestions/hints to deal with the CO2 build-up. Are there ways to condition oneself to delay the need to breathe?

Spectrum,

I'm not using a snorkel. Just me, goggles and my Speedo! :wink:

Before you go for the 20M swim do hyper ventilation also know as bubbles several times.

That will saturate your lungs with O2. And Push off from the wall with all your might.

When i did my 20m years ago. I used frog style and glided. You use less energy thus less oxygen.

Remember to exhale if you need too. Dont hold it in.

I hope this helps.

annasea:
Shawn95,

Spectrum,

I'm not using a snorkel. Just me, goggles and my Speedo! :wink:

OK, then return to the surface but keep you face underwater as long as you can, them rise or roll to breathe when you need to. Nothing says you can't use a snorkel to develop your ability.

Pete

annasea:
While this isn't a snorkeling/freediving question per se, I thought the people here would be most qualified to offer assistance.

I'll be working on NAUI's OW course very soon and am looking for suggestions regarding successfully completing my 20M underwater swim.

I can currently do approximately 15M, but I don't seem to be able to push pass this point on my own. (My instructor believes if I can do 15M, he'll have me doing 20M with very little difficulty but I'm not so sure. He sees the issue as primarily being a state of mind.)

The problem, of course, is the desire to breathe becomes overwhelming and I shoot to the surface for air. Also, I'm frequently *anxious* before each attempt.

Does anyone have any advice they'd like to share? Other than trying to remain calm, is there something I should be doing besides practicing what I'm presently doing? (It just doesn't seem to be enough.)

I know it will sound strange but do a bit of reasearch on "alternate nostril breathing". I have had great success in getting people to relax using this technique. Also, as you are swimming, imagine a cord or a cable extending from your head to the other end of the pool......as you are swimming imagine being "pulled along" by this cable to your goal. Just another method of distraction that seems to be effective.
A good exercise to develop your tolerance to CO2 is to go in the shallow end of a pool, exhale all of your air facing the wall of the pool, submerge just beneath the surface and kick forward as you press your hands against the side wall of the pool. I must say that this is an uncomfortable exercise as it takes you to the point of discomfort. You should aim for no more than 10 seconds submerged. This exercise improves your tolerance for CO2 buildup as you also function in an apneic (breath hold) state. Don't perform this to exhaustion rather a couple of times during your pool workouts and with someone to assist. As always, do only enough to mildly exert but not to the point of dizziness or disorientation.
One last thing, are you taking a proper diaphragmatic breath?

annasea:

Well, well, well.. Miss Annasea....:wink:

First off, what kind of cardio training are you doing??? ANything in the gym???

Part of my training involves doing dynamic apnea laps - I swim 25 yds at surface, 25 yards underwater - the surface swim back to the other end is the only rest - this is done continuously for about 25-30 minutes- I usually do 16-20 sets of that in addition to 400 yards of regular swimming. At times, I also do elliptical machine cardio training where every 2 minutes, I do apnea for 15-20 seconds with my heart rate elevated - for between 40-45 minutes...

You feel like you're going to lose all control, but it develops CO2 and lactic acid tolerence...

Also - I do the following to develop rib cage flexability: Sit in a semi-lotus position - wearing very loose fitting shorts and shirt (I wear just shorts). while listening to meditative type music, I begin slow deep breathing for a few minutes - then take a deep breath, hold it and then extend my arms together over my head - this begins the stretching of the intercostal muscles in the rib cage. hold for a few seconds and then release the breath slowly. Take several more slow deep breaths and repeat - except bend at the waist to one side slowly with the outside arm extended over your head in the direction of the bend. Thisx will stretch the outside rib cage. Come back up slowly while exhaling. Repeat to the other side. You will find your heart rate will increase at first then will slow down.. this is normal.. it is a pseudo MDR kicking in... lastly, do a empty lung hold until you can't hold it any longer. That is one set. I try to do 2-3 sets of that 3-4 times a week.

The urge to breathe is a state of mind. Usually the first urge isn't when you need to breathe - those who do not receive proper instruction on that become frustrated like you are. Doing these dry land exercises will teach you about what that urge to breathe feels like. By knowing that, you will become more aware of your own bodily processes, and it will teach you more about what you are capable of doing apnea wise.

BTW - speedo, eh? (cerebral visuals kicking in now..) how are ya???

freediver:
I know it will sound strange but do a bit of reasearch on "alternate nostril breathing". I have had great success in getting people to relax using this technique. Also, as you are swimming, imagine a cord or a cable extending from your head to the other end of the pool......as you are swimming imagine being "pulled along" by this cable to your goal. Just another method of distraction that seems to be effective.
A good exercise to develop your tolerance to CO2 is to go in the shallow end of a pool, exhale all of your air facing the wall of the pool, submerge just beneath the surface and kick forward as you press your hands against the side wall of the pool. I must say that this is an uncomfortable exercise as it takes you to the point of discomfort. You should aim for no more than 10 seconds submerged. This exercise improves your tolerance for CO2 buildup as you also function in an apneic (breath hold) state. Don't perform this to exhaustion rather a couple of times during your pool workouts and with someone to assist. As always, do only enough to mildly exert but not to the point of dizziness or disorientation.
One last thing, are you taking a proper diaphragmatic breath?

Thx for the suggestions, Freediver!

Since I'm supposed to be going to the pool later today, I'll try your pool suggestion, but I'll probably need to modify it slightly. I thought I could hang onto the edge of the pool with arms outstretched in the shallow end, and flutter kick (I can't frog kick yet) with my face in the water after I exhale. I'll be happy if I can do 5 seconds, nevermind 10! :wink: Do you think this method will work to build CO2 tolerance?

As for your last question... I have no idea. *Belly* breathing while engaging in any sort of activity other than sleeping is new to me. (I'm an upper chest breather unless I concentrate on directing it elsewhere.)

My limited understanding of diaphragmatic breathing is as long as my *belly* expands while I inhale, and contracts while I exhale, I'm doing it. Please correct me if this is wrong.

annasea:
As for your last question... I have no idea. *Belly* breathing while engaging in any sort of activity other than sleeping is new to me. (I'm an upper chest breather unless I concentrate on directing it elsewhere.)

My limited understanding of diaphragmatic breathing is as long as my *belly* expands while I inhale, and contracts while I exhale, I'm doing it. Please correct me if this is wrong.

annasea.. freediver has some excellent advice - let me add my $0.02 worth.

If there is any amount of anxiety on your part, your heart will race, thereby using up more oxygen in your system.

is this swim without any fins??? if so, you are into the realm of doing a dynamic no fins swim, which is different from swimming with fins - am I correct on that assessment???

If so, you need to change your style completely...

Let us know if this is with or without fins...

Regarding the belly breathing - this is a conscious effort on a divers part to belly breathe - we do it as baby's but become chest breathers as we get older. The idea is to slowly inhale from the belly first - actually distending it until it is full, then moving into the chest area for breathing, finally swallowing the last little bit into the throat area. Does that make sense? Do 4-5 deep slow breaths this way and see if it doesn't help to oxygenate your blood better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom