Entry Level Dive Scooter - To Good To Be True?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rev. Blade

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've wanted a DPV since I first saw one in a James Bond movie. I know there are some pretty good DPVs out there, but I don't want to spend over $1000. for something that's too expensive for my buddies to buy, or too heavy to bring on trips. I've been seeing Sea-Doo scooters for around $700., and thought that was too expensive for a toy that may not even work all that well. Then I saw a "Hot Deal" on the forum. The deal seems almost too good to be true, but sometimes people smply offer realy good deals.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=141328

...but then I found http://www.nfmdirect.com/seascooters.htm
$159 including shipping seems waaaaaay too good to be true. Has anyone heard of NFM Direct? I'm tempted to buy a couple, so I can loan one to a dive buddy without one ...but wondered if NM is just some scam outfit that wants my credit card number.

As I guessed, the deal was too good to be true. I found an eBay ad comparing the $179. Dolphin to the Sea-Doo scooter. http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-2006-150W-D...temZ7240483332QQcategoryZ114236QQcmdZViewItem

So while it may not be the Sea-Doo scooter (and some people have expressed opinions that not even the actual Sea-Doo scooters are adequate for diving) it seems more likely (but still no sure bet) that NFM will actually ship something if you pay them.

I'm still curious if anyone has heard of NFM, of the Dolphin scooter.

yes i last years nfm scooter
its cheep yes but mine does work
it is a toy but fun as all heck
mine says its good to 65 feet ive been to 30 with it
its faster then you would normaly swim .on a full charge it goes over a hour
i would not trust it ! if had to use for a serious perpass

ohhhhhhhhhh btw the one on the nfm web site says rated to 100 feet the link you put up says theres is good to 82 feet

have fun

The SEADOO SEACOOTER Hot Deals are great deals and are for ScubaBord members only. Like many companies, SEADOO has had problems with knock-offs that may look like the SEADOO but are not the same scooter. Here's one example of an imitation recalled by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission: DAKA Clarifies Sea-Doo(R) Seascooter(TM) is Not "Aqua Water Scooters" Presently Recalled By U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

The SEADOO VS Supercharged is a great scooter, and weighs in at only 18 lbs with battery. If your looking for something more powerful you may be interested in the New SEADOO EXPLORER: SEADOO EXPLORER HOT DEAL

You can find more SEADOO SEASCOOTER information here:http://www.seascooter.net/

Regarding ScubaBoard HOT DEALS: You can be comfortable knowing items in the HOT DEALS forum are for real. These deals are posted by ScubaBoard members for ScubaBoard members and are even screened by ScubaBoard personnel before they are posted. If you have any questions regarding Hot Deals you can even PM the poster and receive a quick response.

Hope this helps!

scooter_uw.jpg

rapidiver:
Regarding ScubaBoard HOT DEALS: You can be comfortable knowing items in the HOT DEALS forum are for real. These deals are posted by ScubaBoard members for ScubaBoard members and are even screened by ScubaBoard personnel before they are posted. If you have any questions regarding Hot Deals you can even PM the poster and receive a quick response.

Hope this helps!
Thanks rapidiver. Like I said, your deal looked too good to be true at first. I did some checking, and am about as comfortable as I could be, that your deal is a great deal. (...and a "for real deal".)

My problem is that none of my friends have scooters. The $200 unit is cheap enough I could buy two, and loan one when I dive with a buddy that doesn't have one. My concern is that I'd own $400 of crud that didn't work. My other concern is that I've had bad luck with the O-rings on flashlights. I'd hate to have a $650 Explorer leak on a dive.

Then again I'd love to have a 3+ m.p.h. scooter for only $650. (including shipping)! Me being me, I suppose I'll just waffle back and forth until the deal is over. I just noticed the Hot Deals section. It looks like I've missed some really smokin' deals. Thanks to you, for offering a special deal to SB members!

FYI, I brought a couple of the Seadoo VS Supercharged scooters last summer and have had a lot of fun with them. They're great for scootering around the quarry and I've also taken them off the NC coast for some wreck dives. I like the fact that they only weigh 18 pounds with the battery (much easier to lug around than the heavier, more expensive scooters). The scooters are rated to 100 ft but I've taken them down to 115 ft without any problems. One hint, it helps to use duct tape to cover the two side clips on the front cover for the deeper dives since these clips occasionally pop off as the pressure changes (there is an air space within the cover that can be used for storage (I keep a 2 pound soft weight so that the scooter is neutral)). Note that loss of the clips won't cause the unit to flood.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom