Whiskey Wreck and AL Point Jetties 5-24-6 Dive Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I met up with Bill L and USCG_flyer Sunday at the public access next to Bahama Bob's around 2PM. The beaches were more crowded than I've seen them this year and parking was scarse. It was friggin hot out too, probably in the upper 80sF. We geared up and made the hike up the sand dune and then across the beach to the water. Seas were pretty much flat and the water looked to have OK visibility. There ended up being alot of snot and particle floating around, but we had alot of light to help us see 5-10'. Found the wreck without too much trouble and clipped the flag off to it. I'm still amazed by how much wreckage is visibile compared to dives I made on the Whisky a month ago. Lots of pinfish and spades are schooling the wreck now and grunts chase each other around the wreckage too. I spotted a couple of flounder for Bill, he even shot one without ever seeing it - just thrusted his pole where I told him - LOL. I hit a max depth of 18' for a total dive time of 88 minutes. Water temps were in the mid-70sF I'm guessing. We told Bill goodbye and headed over to the AL Point Jetties.

We met up with jlayman, his daughter Crystal, and Ed just before they were about to enter the water at the jetties. We were running late after a longer dive a the Whiskey than we expected and they opted to dive ahead of us to catch the ebb tide. I gave jlayman the lowdown on what to expect from the dive and they headed out. Kenny R met up with us at the parking lot by this time and we all geared up. We also talked to Samdiver(? I think) and his son as they exitted the water. After nearly an hour and a half, we were back in the water. I went over a very brief description on what to expect an we were on our way under. Within a few minutes of the dive, USCG_flyer heard a pop and bubbles started flowing out from near his 1st stage. We surfaced and noticed that his HP hose had busted! Ouch, never seen that before. Unfortunately, USCG had to abort :( (maybe next time Eric!). Kenny and I headed back down and followed the jetties around the point and back on the beach side. Visibility was soupy with some nasty clouds of crap at times making visibility 5-10' at best and often much worse. We spotted most of the same fish at the Whiskey and some others we hadn't seen earlier. I found a freshly lost polespear :) Max depth of 32' for a dive duration of 42 minutes. Jlayman and party met up with us during the long walk back over the beach :p Kenny headed out and I joined jlayman(and party) for dinner at Calypso's at Orange Beach Marina.

I think everyone had a great time on both dives and I'm looking forward to getting wet again soon.

It was great running into some divers that I have seen on here so often. My son had some problems getting his ears to clear. We had terrible vis 0 to 5 feet. So with my son with me, considering his lack of experience, I decided to call the dive.
I have to get some more practice on this beach diving stuff. We were really bad at keeping the sand under control. I got a cup and a half out of the bottom of the bath tub.

Feel free to join us Wed night at the Whiskey Wreck. We are meeting at the public beach access next to Bahama Bob's at 7:30PM. They have a shower there, so sand isn't as bad a problem :) Fair warning, we'll have polespears and plan to take several flounder.

Nice find on the polespear! Glad you guys had fun.

USCG flyer:
Dare I go with you again?

How much duct tape can you donate to that high pressure hose? :lol:

Come on out!

Well, since I took the liberty of picking up a new SPG and two tanks today...I concur with your last statement. A nice night dive, and perhaps a drink at Bahama Bob's to follow.

Indeed :D

See you tommorow night at 7:30PM. I have some buddies(Bill who you've met and another FBI buddy) who couldn't make it Wed night and they are supposed to be diving tonight. I wouldn't be suprised to hear they get skunked :) No eye yet!

Back
Top Bottom