S-49 / Dive Shops in Maryland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LAJim

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello Mid-Atlantic:

This is LAJim from SoCal. I've been in MD for a few days and a couple of questions have come up. Over the weekend I visited a friend of many years who lives in the navy residence on Point Patience on the Pax River near Solomons MD. He told me about the S-49 sub sinking in the channel there in 1942 and I googled up some research on the water conditions near Point Patience, the history of S-49 and a report (written for non-divers) of a discovery and survey of the wreck in the mid-80s. Obviously we talked about me coming back out sometime with gear and taking a look see, but viz. looks like it could be less than 5 ft. and rarely above 10 ft., depth, current, etc., etc.

So first question is anybody on the Board ever dive S-49, and do any of the shops or clubs do it on any kind of semi-regular basis? My sense that viz might be OK in the winter as long as there hasn't been recent rain, but if there is a sensible way to dive the wreck with a group I'm potentially interested.

Question 2. I like to hit LDS's wherever I go. I tried visiting Dive and Bike in Solomons yesterday but they were closed for an event in Virginia. I'm in Cambridge MD right now at a professional meeting, and I drive back to BWI tomorrow. Is there a dive shop along the way up the eastern shore, by Annapolis and onto Baltimore that someone would recommend. I'm on the DIR path in SoCal diving and tweaking some things for a CoCo View Roatan trip next week. So any place with a good inventory of lift bags, reels, Dive Rite, Halcyon, etc. would be worth a stop. Also looking for lycra full body suit.

Grew up near this area but never dove out here. Curious about some of the wrecks and challenges. Looks like conditions out here are like some SoCal beaches on a chalenging day but with more current and less surge.

Jim

Check this site out. http://www.annapoliscuba.com/ Shop is in Annapolis. If you are on your way back to BWI you will go by Annapolis. Oh, never dove the s-49. Hope this helps some.

Thanks. Will check it out and periodically search for posts on S-49.

Jim

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom