Possibilities in Madison

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I called this morning. It looks as though it is on for the 10th and 11th of June. All you have to do is sign a waiver and pay the money. Hopfully it is a sign of things to come.

Note this is still all pending the council and water board approval at upcoming meetings, but Bill said that most likely won't be an issue.

Other dive shops in the area are also likely to have different weekends. Their goal is to have it open about 2 weekends per month this summer.

The water level is still down due to the water-boards pump out and recovery test. Their official draw down amount was 12.7 feet, but it's only recovered about 1 foot in the past few weeks. what does this mean? that it's not a viable replentishable water source for the waterboard. So they will either do one of two things. 1.) suck it dry in times of high demand or 2.) decide the value recieved for the water is not worth the equipment/infrastructure costs and not use it as a water source. All of this will be decided over the next year.

As for what weekends the quarry will be open, they are planning on putting up a website for the quarry with more information and which dive shops will be using it on which weekends. I'll post that URL when it's done.

Also docks will have to be fixed as the drop in water level has damaged them. (one has been damaged since july last year anyway). Entry might have to be by the sloped road entry or maybe the rear (east) dock didn't substain damage since the parking area back there is several feet lower than the front (west).

More information to come.....

-Mike

Does anyone know if they have approved the use of the quarry yet?

Brian,

the Water board doesn't meet to vote on it until this upcoming Monday (June 5th). It's expected to be approved for "interim operation" and to be open for the following weekend to shops/instructors. SDI will be the first shop to utilize it.

A web site for the quarry is in the preliminary states of being planned and will have more information (sometime in the future). You'll be able to go to the website and see which shop has reserved the quarry for a particular weekend and then make arrangements with that shop to dive with them. (don't worry, I'll post the URL in Deep Dixie Divers as soon as it's available.)

-Mike

All,

the paperwork required for the land swap wasn't complete in time for the last meeting/vote, so it's been postponed until the next meeting.

The earliest that they will be able to open now is June 17th and 18th. Most likely that will include SDI from the above post. more information later, but just wanted to let anyone know who "might" be planning on trying to dive there this weekend that there was a delay.

-Mike

It looks as though everything is a go for this weekend.

Oops...sorry everyone. I did not see this thread before I started a new one on the same topic. If an administrator wants to delete my post, that is fine.

The park WILL BE OPEN on 17-18 June for diving but be aware that the rules for using the park have changed quite a bit since last year. You have to PRE-REGISTER and PRE-PAY. You cannot show up on the day of the dive and expect to get into the quarry. For details please visit Southeastern Divers. I plan on diving Saturday (all day) but not Sunday (since it is Father's Day).

Also note that the quarry will not be open every weekend.

Regards,
Ltstanfo

guys...

bear with them on this transistion. THe land deal was just passed by the city council this past monday, so they've got a lot to do for opening a quarry before the weekend.

The reason for the limited access has to do with the water board is not wanting unlimited general access to the quarry until they are finished their testing. They don't want to exclude classes though for public safety divers or other scuba classes from training so they agreed to this for this year. Next year will be a different story and will be defined later.

They actually plan on opening the quarry as many weekends as they can, through local shops or instructors with insurance. Bill plans on having it opened at least every other weekend, maybe more depending on demand. So check with your local shop to see if they have a weekend scheduled. SDI is just the first shop to register for this.

Les is right though... you will have to pre register and pre pay. If you're not pre registered, you'll show up and be turned away.

So... keep in mind that although all facilities will be up and running there, they are trying their best to get the place open for us. So bear with them.

-mike

Mike,

I hope I did not give the wrong impression. I am not complaining about the current situation. I understand that alot has to be done to reopen the park. I have no problem with the current rules...I just wanted to make sure that everyone else was aware of them in advance so there would be no hard feelings if someone just showed up and was turned away.

I'm just happy to have a local place to dive again!

Regards,
Lee Stanford
"Ltstanfo"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom