Multi-purpose regulators for newbies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sdavis

New
Reaction score
Hey there,

This is my first post - so please forgive me if I miss some form of etiquette ;-)

I am very new to scuba diving (in fact, I still have to complete my open water tests before I can claim to be certified). I am planning on purchasing my gear but my local dive shop suggested that I wait until after my open water...thoughts?

Also, I live in Canada (near the Rocky Mountains) so the majority of my diving will be in pretty darned cold water...that being said, though, my fiance and I plan to do at least one warm water trip each year, and this September will be heading to the Mediterranian Sea to try our hand at diving.

What is a good regulator for cold water and warm water that is lightweight and helps reduce dry mouth? Also, if we are traveling to Europe (specifically Spain), are they mostly on DIN valves (so would have to rent) or do they mostly use yolk (so I could bring my own)?

Thanks in advance for the info!

Hi there.

The Sherwood Maximus might suit your needs. It's has some features to fight dry-mouth and it's certainly an excellent reg for cold water.

In Europe you'll have equal access to yoke or din.

R..

Thanks much. I have been reading about the Maximus but to be honest, there seem to be so many choices, it's hard to keep it all straight. Sherwood, Scubapro, Mares, Dacor...seems the list goes on and on :) I'll check with my LDS and see if they carry it.

If you travel a lot. Those who have the most extensive network are Scubapro, Mares and Aqualung.

Where in Canada? BC? Water temps are different there is cold and very cold.

I live in Calgary, Alberta (which is about 45 minutes from the Rocky Mountains). The majority of our cold water dives will be either in the mountains (so spring runoff makes is really really cold) or in small lakes in and around the city. We also spend a lot of time in Victoria, BC (so will definitely be diving the Pacific Ocean in cold water). But the rest of my diving will be in hot, palm tree laced climates :)

Yes but those who have the most extensive network are those 3.

I'd recommend the

Mares Metal Tech Regulator
http://www.scubatoys.com/store/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=MaresLEMetalReg
or

Mares Abyss

or

Mares Proton Ice

A kit in Canada for that will go around 1000$-1400$ With the Console.(whole kit)

or you can get a Scubapro with the MK25af first stage.
Its not the MK17 (wich is the top) but the MK25 anti-freeze edition
it will suit your needs.
I personnaly like the X650 second stage

BC waters arent that cold. Here its colder ( you have a southern hot current hitting BC and have the labrador current coming from the North Pole. :D )

If you want cheaper you can buy on internet.
Some may say its not worth it.
But the XTX-200 is sold 2500$ CND the Kit
I bought it at 800$CND.... I can buy 3 ....no free parts? dont care

I use Oceanic Delta 4 / DX 4 enviro. I dive in water down to 33 degrees F and I live in Regina. I have not freeflowed yet.

The national distributor of these regs is in Calgary.

I take a Delta 4 set-up as well as a Scuba Pro ulta lite on my trips to Cozumel.

Ron

Dive rite makes good regulators for the price as well and it is DIN and comes with a Yoke adaptor so you could use it on either style tank.

Back
Top Bottom