What does your C-Card look like [Archive] - ScubaBoard - Scuba Diving Forum - Diving Social Network

View Full Version : What does your C-Card look like

Sponsored Link

ocrmaster
May 24th, 2006, 02:16 AM
What does your C-Card look like?

Curious to see the C-Card of people from different orgs and their designs.

drbill
May 24th, 2006, 02:32 AM
You can see mine (Los Angeles County, first certifying agency in the world) on my web site at:

http://www.starthrower.org/diving/dive_log.htm

ocrmaster
May 24th, 2006, 02:51 AM
CooL! dude.

Kim
May 24th, 2006, 03:18 AM
What are you planning to do...make copies? :D

Mine has a dolphin on it.

BarryNL
May 24th, 2006, 03:21 AM
Mine are all standard PADI - strangely I did try to pay the extra for a Project Aware card with my nitrox cert but they didn't take the money and sent me a normal card.

Sometimes you just can't give it away...

ocrmaster
May 24th, 2006, 03:24 AM
What are you planning to do...make copies? :D

Mine has a dolphin on it.

Yes...

Honestly I have only seen standard Padi C-Card with the Dolphin and Project Aware cards.

Curious to see the different types of C Card from other organizations.

drbill C card is a blast from the past.

clgsamson
May 24th, 2006, 03:59 AM
I wonder if the same "dolphin" was in a padi c-card ten years ago...

falloutx
May 24th, 2006, 04:19 AM
I just got my Padi Open Water card. Thought it will be the dolphins as what I have seen on my friends' cards. But the picture shows a bunch of corals and some fish. Padi logo on the right, 'Open Water Diver' on the top.

darn...I prefer the dolphins

Zeeman
May 24th, 2006, 04:21 AM
****ing terrible. It's a blurry out of focus photo of me, and I am wearing a bright red shirt, which makes the whole thing look even worse.

I'm doing my Rescue Course solely to get a new photo. And if that photo sucks, it's good to know I have "Master Scuba Diver" to shoot for as a backup...

Z..

RikRaeder
May 24th, 2006, 04:25 AM
My friends is all white with a blue horizontal bar with "PADI" in it. I've go the dolphin and swimmer. I'm guessing, since mine also has five gold stars, that it has to do with my issuing shop being a five star doo-hickey. My friend's rather plain card has no stars and no dolphins, and apparently her issuer was in no way five star.

Nemrod
May 24th, 2006, 04:31 AM
Mine is a faded piece of paper that says NAUI and SCUBADIVER. It don't restrict me to day or night or deep or shallow or this or that, it says I am a scubadiver--period--it is from 1968. N

ocrmaster
May 24th, 2006, 04:32 AM
I just got my Padi Open Water card. Thought it will be the dolphins as what I have seen on my friends' cards. But the picture shows a bunch of corals and some fish. Padi logo on the right, 'Open Water Diver' on the top.

darn...I prefer the dolphins

Yup seen the coral card not very attractive.

I'm doing my Rescue Course solely to get a new photo. And if that photo sucks, it's good know know I have "aster Scuba Diver" to shoot for as a backup...

if you need a stylist i know someone that can make you look like a superstar.

My friends is all white with a blue horizontal bar with "PADI" in it. I've go the dolphin and swimmer. I'm guessing, since mine also has five gold stars, that it has to do with my issuing shop being a five star doo-hickey. My friend's rather plain card has no stars and no dolphins, and apparently her issuer was in no way five star.

Could you post a pic of your C-Card w/ Stars?

Mine is a faded piece of paper that says NAUI and SCUBADIVER. It don't restrict me to day or night or deep or shallow or this or that, it says I am a scubadiver--period--it is from 1968. N

I can think of one thing that might restrict you... Nitrox Fills.

Kim
May 24th, 2006, 04:34 AM
since mine also has five gold stars,
I've got that. I thought it was my pass grade! :blinking:

jonix
May 24th, 2006, 05:01 AM
i've got the padi dolphins as well

DiveMaven
May 24th, 2006, 08:00 AM
Mine are gold with a gold palm tree.

RikRaeder
May 24th, 2006, 08:07 AM
Could you post a pic of your C-Card w/ Stars

I hope so. I just took my camera in to the Canon service center today. I hope it comes back quickly, and fixed, and under warranty. Seems my housing took on about a tablespoon of water in Saipan last week on my second day of diving. (Gel pack which you don't even need in Saipan had an edge under the O-ring: my bad). Shhhh. I'm hoping they'll just swap out the monitor without cracking it open since that seems to be the only problem.

do it easy
May 24th, 2006, 08:14 AM
This (http://www.scubaboard.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=27959&d=1138074956) is what mine looks like- Thanks Captain!

darylm74
May 24th, 2006, 08:20 AM
My c-card had the YMCA scuba logo on it and a real picture of me (unlike my PADI cards). It has my SSN on it so not going to post it because your SSN is what YMCA used to use.

Trever
May 24th, 2006, 08:21 AM
DrBill, That is awesome, I hope that you have that framed on conservation paper. I bet it doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Does LA County have an specialty courses? JK

speedhound
May 24th, 2006, 08:32 AM
My YMCA cards are just plain, dark grey with the YMCA Scuba logo on the front, and my and my instructor details on the back. There's no picture, no SSN, just dark grey plastic with "YMCA SCUBA" written in small, reflective/holographic print on the front side too.
My Nitrox Card is with PDIC. That has a fugly picture of me on the back, with my address, etc, and what could pass for a cheesy aquarium shot on the front

Seraphimx
May 24th, 2006, 08:59 AM
http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Picture_6.jpg (http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=59256)http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/thumbs/Picture_5.jpg (http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=59255)

This is my CMAS OW card.
Webcam that why its blury.

NWGratefulDiver
May 24th, 2006, 09:00 AM
Here's mine ... I like variety ... ;)

http://www.scubaboard.com/gallery/data/500/medium/c_cards.jpg

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Walter
May 24th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Bob, I wouldn't have expected you to have the new style Y OW card. You are a young'un.

Queen
May 24th, 2006, 09:44 AM
My three cards are from 1980 and 1984, the one from '80 is faded white and blue with a very young looking me on the back. :D The ones from '84 are five-star and look like mini gold diplomas.

NWGratefulDiver
May 24th, 2006, 09:57 AM
Bob, I wouldn't have expected you to have the new style Y OW card. You are a young'un.
Actually, I'm an old fart ... but I only started diving a bit more than five years ago.

Coming up on 1,500 dives though .... I've done my best to make up for lost time ... ;)

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

drbill
May 24th, 2006, 10:10 AM
DrBill, That is awesome, I hope that you have that framed on conservation paper. I bet it doesn't seem like it was that long ago. Does LA County have an specialty courses? JK

Actually the original is stored away in my desk. I use a laminated color xerox copy when I have to show mine.

Los Angeles County has a great Advanced Diver Program. It is a very long and thorough course from what I hear from friends who have taken it. I'm not aware of any specialty courses that they offer though.

captain
May 24th, 2006, 11:45 AM
My one and only.

BrianS
May 24th, 2006, 12:15 PM
Just the plain ol Dolphins

http://bdcpaging.com/images/diver.jpg

aprils0909
May 24th, 2006, 12:16 PM
My husband is PADI and has a picture on his card. He was shocked my SDI card didn't have a photo. As long as I won't get rejected on a dive trip for "only" having a card. Have yet to use mine. I've gone out with the shop that did my cert, so they know I am certified and haven't asked.

Walter
May 24th, 2006, 12:25 PM
Many cards no longer have photos, it won't be an issue. I look nothing like the photos on my cards.

Ber Rabbit
May 24th, 2006, 12:28 PM
NAUI cards don't have photos, the running joke is "I need to see your c-card and two forms of positive i.d." :D

My card looks like the gold instructor card in NWGratefulDiver's picture but it has my name and cert # on it :)
Ber :lilbunny:

Nay
May 24th, 2006, 12:40 PM
It's probably a good thing that the PADI cards have pics on them. My little brother is in high school and recently went to New York on a trip with the drama dept. He gets to LAX and apparently his name is on the No Fly list (his is a pretty common name) so he had to check in with photo ID before anyone in the group could check in. He doesn't have a license yet and he couldn't find his student ID so his PADI open water card was the only photo ID he had.
It worked though. :)

MSilvia
May 24th, 2006, 12:51 PM
I have two of the old grey pre-dolphin style PADI, three of the PADI dolphins, and one IANTD like the one in NWGratefulDiver's pic. I guess no one's shown an old grey PADI card yet... I'll have to get a picture.

Walter
May 24th, 2006, 12:59 PM
I should take pictures of my cards, but I'm afraid the photos will frighten folks away.

radinator
May 24th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Los Angeles County has a great Advanced Diver Program. It is a very long and thorough course from what I hear from friends who have taken it. I'm not aware of any specialty courses that they offer though.

If anyone is interested in the LA County ADP check this (http://lascuba.com/adp.html) out.

Averill
May 24th, 2006, 03:09 PM
Didn't see any of these while scanning through the thread. The name has been edited for anonymity. I wish the text lined up right, but I suppose it's the training behind the card that is what counts!

ocrmaster
May 24th, 2006, 07:05 PM
Wow so cool to see C-Cards other than PADI for a change.

Hickdive
May 27th, 2006, 05:42 AM
(Los Angeles County, first certifying agency in the world)

http://www.bsac.com/about/about.html

Maybe some competition for that title?:smile:

Walter
May 27th, 2006, 07:06 AM
Maybe, looks like BSAC slipped in one year earlier.

CheddarChick
May 27th, 2006, 08:57 AM
Yeah,ok lots of cards, but how many guys can say their mommy saved their very first swimming lessons card, with the pin that Cheddarguy got when he completed his face in the water test. Lucky for me, he continues to love the water!:lol: :lol:

scubatexastony
May 27th, 2006, 09:32 AM
Officially, unofficially.. who has the oldest, longest? probably the USN. How long has L.A. County Parks and Recreation been around? Seems they were well established prior to the invention of the aqua lung. I'm just glad it has evolved in to the sport my wife and I enjoy.

The modern diving era in North America traces its beginnings to 1948 when Jacques-Yves Cousteau convinced Rene Bussoz (of Rene’s Sporting Goods in Westwood, California) to import self-contained underwater breathing units he called Aqua-Lungs. Previously, aquatic adventurers were limited to breath-hold dives, although they too called themselves skin divers. It wasn’t until the late 1960s that the term “scuba diver” became the accepted name for Aqua-Lung users.

Breath-hold divers were drawn to the oceans primarily to hunt game fish and collect lobster and, on the US west coast, abalone. Spear fishing tournaments were fairly common, rewarding participants for the most and largest fish taken. In the years since, spear fishing has been in and out of favor as its environmental impact debated, but it is again growing in popularity and practiced responsibly both on scuba (where not restricted) and by skin (breath-hold) divers. Some of the early records still stand today. Some will stand without challenge, as taking certain fish has since been outlawed, and recordkeeping organizations like the International Underwater Spear Fishing Association (IUSA) will not accept or publish record claims for endangered species. Given the equipment available and the body of knowledge that existed for the early adventurers, some of these are truly remarkable conquests.

The Aqua-Lung would, for the first time, allow divers to stay under water much longer than they could on a single breath. Rene Bussoz imported only ten S.C.U.B.A. units, and once they were sold he believed he had saturated the market. However, several sporting goods stores across the country discovered a market for the Aqua-Lungs. The divers who bought them soon realized they didn’t need a breath-hold diver’s stamina, and they in turn convinced others to try this new, wonderful, extended, weightless experience. The number of scuba divers steadily increased and U.S. Divers Company was formed out of Rene’s Sporting Goods. During those beginning years, there were no certification requirements, and anyone who could afford it could purchase scuba equipment. That equipment pales in comparison to today’s designs.

The double-hose regulators were hard breathing, and some required specialized techniques to clear water from the hoses if they flooded during the dive. Still, the only training offered by the sellers was the warning not to hold one’s breath. Training was being conducted by the military (Underwater Demolition Teams, the forerunner of the well known SEAL teams in the U.S. Navy) and by the oceanographic institutes at Scripps in Southern California and Woods Hole in New England. Dive clubs were the only resource for training available to civilian recreational divers throughout the 1950s.

As the population of divers grew, the need to codify the training was also growing. Jim Auxie Jr and Chuck Blakeslee started a magazine called The Skin Diver (later renamed Skin Diver Magazine) in 1951. They asked Neal Hess (NAUI #3) to write and edit a column about teaching scuba called “The Instructors Corner.” It wasn’t long before Neal was reviewing course outlines submitted by others and certifying them as instructors. He started a new column called the “National Diving Patrol,” wherein he would publish the names of these new skin and scuba diving “instructors.”

Al Tillman, (soon to become NAUI Instructor #1) was the director of sports for Los Angeles County Parks and Recreation during this period and established a training program sponsored by L.A. County to certify skin and scuba divers. The impetus was the growing number of divers appearing at Los Angeles area beaches and concern for their safety. As Tillman said in a 1952 letter to Parks and Recreation director Paul Gruendyke, “A new sport—skin diving—is becoming popular in the area. Recently while diving in Palos Verdes, I ran into several divers in the water with me who didn’t know what they were doing. One had one of the new underwater breathing units that allows divers to stay under for long periods of time... I propose that my department get involved in this sport and provide training classes. I believe that diving will grow in the future and we have an obligation to make the sport as safe as possible.”

Bev Morgan, a Los Angeles County lifeguard at the time, (he would later be well known among commercial and recreational divers alike for his equipment designs, including the Kirby-Morgan band mask) and Al Tillman studied with Conrad Limbaugh at Scripps Institute of Oceanography in 1953. In April 1955 they held the first Underwater Instructor Certification Course, (1UICC) and created the world’s first civilian diver training agency. The L.A. County program soon began granting Provisional Certification to instructors across the country to respond to a growing number of requests.

ref: Naui text

http://www.lascuba.com/tillman.html
cudos to Al, LA#1 and NAUI#1

Matsya
May 27th, 2006, 10:22 AM
My PADI Open Water Card has the PADI logo (Globe) in silver,the lat. and long. in blue and the Diver with the torch in silver. Theres is a Bottle-nose? Dolphin with a diver in the background photographing the dolphin all in an underwater blue background.
The Open Water Card has coral and the PADi Globe in blue with the lat. and long. in silver and the diver with the torch in red.

Seraphimx
May 27th, 2006, 11:27 AM
Who cares whos first....i want a card with a Manatee on it.... why cant I have one .:280:... I like manatees'.

Walter
May 27th, 2006, 11:29 AM
I like manatees'.

Yeah, but they aren't all that good for your heart - too much fat.

diversteve
May 27th, 2006, 12:52 PM
What does your C-Card look like?

Curious to see the C-Card of people from different orgs and their designs.

Here's my circa 1994(my current card since I lost the original) NASDS card. They're now part of SSI. The little black square on the back is a microfiche that contains all my personal/medical data.

It even comes in two handy pieces since it delaminated about 10 years ago.

grazie42
May 27th, 2006, 01:51 PM
The only one I have that I havenīt seen is this one...

Hickdive
May 27th, 2006, 01:53 PM
http://www.bsac.com/about/about.html

Maybe some competition for that title?:smile:

Oops, I forgot, the Scottish Sub-Aqua Club (SSAC) predates BSAC by some months, although I've been unable to locate a precise date.

CoolTech
May 27th, 2006, 02:01 PM
Many cards no longer have photos, it won't be an issue. I look nothing like the photos on my cards.

There's almost a resemblance!
:lol:

Walter's young picture looks like a young Nick Nolte

Walter's picture today looks like Grandpa Jones

:D

CoolTech
May 27th, 2006, 03:03 PM
Here are some for you

Charlie59
May 27th, 2006, 05:52 PM
Mine has a picture of this old bearded guy.

Not sure where he came from but alot of people say he looks like me.

Walter
May 27th, 2006, 06:11 PM
There's almost a resemblance!
:lol:

Walter's young picture looks like a young Nick Nolte

More like Charles Manson

Walter's picture today looks like Grandpa Jones

:D

Now, I look more like Santa.

lowwall
May 27th, 2006, 06:52 PM
I've got a PADI dolphin, with Advanced Open ???, and a globe and 5 stars in gold. Except the gold has almost entirely come off. But there's no way I'm going to pay PADI $30 for 25 cents worth of plastic and printing, better to apply it to a Rescue Diver course.

diver_sam_851027
May 27th, 2006, 11:36 PM
...or they're just staying quiet :D

Here's my cards...meh...not worried about anonymity...hunt me down...;););)

Hmmm...not able to upload right now...I'll post them when I can.

Mr Carcharodon
May 27th, 2006, 11:41 PM
You can see mine (Los Angeles County, first certifying agency in the world) on my web site at:

http://www.starthrower.org/diving/dive_log.htm

I took the LA County Course last summer, and notice that my certification number is lower than yours although yours was 36 years earlier. Did they pad the numbers in those days? Or maybe there was a reset at a point in time.

Anyway I noticed that on my PADI card from 5 years ago the "Advanced Open Water" designation has worn off (maybe PADI will volunteer to send me a replacement) so now I carry by LA County card.

CoolTech
May 27th, 2006, 11:43 PM
More like Charles Manson

That's what I said, a young Nick Nolte!

Now, I look more like Santa.

That's what I said.... Grandpa Jones

Kwbyron
May 28th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Yeah,ok lots of cards, but how many guys can say their mommy saved their very first swimming lessons card, with the pin that Cheddarguy got when he completed his face in the water test. Lucky for me, he continues to love the water!:lol: :lol:

I was a water baby in an early 80's redcross comercial.... but we don't have a copy of it. As for my cards, The typical, diver herasing flipper PADI with the 5 star get up. My NITROX is NAUI. soo.. if I go to a naui shop and they want the c-card and 2 forms of ID, can I use the PADI card?? lol! ahh, anyone know what the 5 stars are?
[edit] forgot to add, this photo is byfar the worst pic in my wallet...and I took it myself (they had to have altered it..)

Walter
May 28th, 2006, 06:24 AM
anyone know what the 5 stars are?

A marketing gimmick.

Sasquatch
May 28th, 2006, 12:00 PM
Mine are gold with a gold palm tree.

Ditto!

Peter Guy
May 28th, 2006, 01:09 PM
OK, another one that hasn't been seen -- and I think it is the oldest one so far:

http://www.tsandm.com/wsuccard.jpg

KrisB
May 29th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Here's a couple newer PADI ones.

I have a couple more that I'll take a picture of later.

jdarnall2001
May 29th, 2006, 06:46 PM
I have the standard SSI card that says "SSI Open Water Diver" and has a picture of two divers on it. Can't post a pic right now.

KrisB
May 30th, 2006, 03:47 AM
Here's a couple newer PADI ones.

I have a couple more that I'll take a picture of later.

As promised, my full array.

mike_s
May 30th, 2006, 11:14 AM
Question/thoughts about the Padi Card.

They print information on the back of the card, but:

They don't actually print your certificaiton level on the back of the card where all your other information is located? huh? does it not make sense to put it on there so you could make a xerox copy of your card to keep in your log book, etc?

why can't they print more than one cert on the card? (Yeah I know they finallly started putting Nitrox on there, but that was just this past year). They should be able to print all the certifications you've gotten from them the back of the card.
For example Nitrox, Deep Diver, etc. you sholdn't have to carry several cards with you.

TCDiver1
May 30th, 2006, 11:36 AM
No shot of the front of this but it was pretty basic back then. The fancy part was the photo id.

Rick Murchison
May 30th, 2006, 11:44 AM
My original YMCA paper card has long since been totally disolved by multiple immersions in the Gulf. Now I have a stack of pretty plastic cards from NAUI, SSI, TDI, IANTD, NACD, NASDS, and even PADI. I have a few paper ones from IANTD and NSS/CDS too :)
Rick

KrisB
May 30th, 2006, 01:37 PM
No shot of the front of this but it was pretty basic back then. The fancy part was the photo id.
What agency is that, Jon? It looks military!

Walter
May 30th, 2006, 01:39 PM

That is a PADI card. The other side looks like the one CoolTech posted in post 49.

ZzzKing
May 30th, 2006, 01:46 PM
****ing terrible. It's a blurry out of focus photo of me, and I am wearing a bright red shirt, which makes the whole thing look even worse.

I'm doing my Rescue Course solely to get a new photo. And if that photo sucks, it's good to know I have "Master Scuba Diver" to shoot for as a backup...

Z..

You know, it would be a lot cheaper to just go to a professional photographer if it's a pretty picture your looking for. :)

TCDiver1
May 30th, 2006, 01:47 PM

Walters right, it is a PADI Basic Open Water card. The picture is from my military days and was sent in as a joke. I didn't think PADI would accept it but they did. I know they wouldn't accept it today. Pics today need to be of passport size and orientation.

Walter
May 30th, 2006, 01:51 PM
I've seen enough of them.

Sponsored Link

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.6.1