Pictures of the Lantern Festival

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
P1010060.jpg

On Monday May 29th, starting at 4PM, the annual Lantern Festival will be held at Ala Moana Beach park.

I went there last year for the first time and it was a very moving event. So if anybody is here on the 29th you don't want to miss it.

I also heard on the news that there will be free parking at the convention center with a shuttle bus to the park.

For anyone that is interested here is a link.

Anyone interested in meeting, enjoying the show and taking pictures?

I'll be making my way over there shortly, so if anybody is going over there....I'll be the blond lady making waves to get good pictures :D

Thanks :blush: with that many lanterns it was fun to play with DOF :D it was just hard getting past everybody else to take pictures lol

I really like this one
IMG_9236.jpg

(sucker for sunsets)

and this one

IMG_9247.jpg

Very nice, especially the first shot!

What's the Lantern Festival all about? (other than lanterns, that is)

The lanterns bear the names of loved ones that have passed away, ancestors - it is a sign of respect...it is tied with a Buddhist ritual

"The Lantern floating is a time-honored Buddhist rite originating in Japan and conducted in order to pay respects to our ancestors and comfor the spirits of the deceased. Turing this Toro-Nagashi, or "lantern offerings on the water," candle-lit lanterns are idividually set afloat on the ocean and are said to fery spirits "from the shore of delusion to the shore of salvation."

More here

Woah, how did I miss this!!

Great shots Leesa, I love the lanterns :D :)!
Especially the first and third shot, wow am most impressed :D :).

Reaaally nice :)

Thanks Jam :D...it is really a fun event. Roger and I went out for breakfast that morning and there were several German folks at a neighboring table....just had to tell them about it. :D

I'm still trying to figure out the right cloths to wear for it though. Last year I had Capri pants on...they got wet and it was very uncomfortable...so this year I wore my booties and shorts...I had a ton of sand in my shoes and when I squatted a wave got my bottom all wet. :blush:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom