tuning a Genesis SKO

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AndrewK2

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
my Genesis octo is really sensitive and I find it leaking a small stream of bubbles very frequently. I know it isn't a huge deal, but it is a bit of an annoyance and it has been like this for a few months.

Now, I'm wondering if it's possible to decrease the sensitivity on it so it doesn't leak - looking inside, I see a nut just under the lever. Would tightning this nut a tiny bit solve the problem or is the issue a lot more complicated than just making one small adjustment?

thanks for your help

AndrewK2:
my Genesis octo is really sensitive and I find it leaking a small stream of bubbles very frequently. I know it isn't a huge deal, but it is a bit of an annoyance and it has been like this for a few months.

Now, I'm wondering if it's possible to decrease the sensitivity on it so it doesn't leak - looking inside, I see a nut just under the lever. Would tightning this nut a tiny bit solve the problem or is the issue a lot more complicated than just making one small adjustment?

thanks for your help

This site might help: http://www.deepsouthdivers.org/genesis.html

I am not familiar with Genesis regs but it sounds like you are describing a classic downstream design. This design adjusts thru the nut you are describing and most also adjust thru and adjustable orifice. These adjustments control the lever height and the pressure of the seat on the orifice. Each adjustment may effect each parameter so it can be a bit of an art. Normally you would get lever height right, then adjust the orifice to just stop leaking, and then recheck lever height. A couple cycles of adjustment are often necessary to get it right.

Once you get close, baby steps are the key. While it is probably better to make the adjustment you desire at the orifice, a small adjustment of the nut should also do the trick. Tightening that nut will pull the seat away from the orifice (and increase lever height a bit) and it will leak a bit more. You will want to loosen that nut no more than about 30 degrees (1/12th of a turn) to increase the pressure of the seat against the orifice. Note the lever height before you make the adjustment. If the lever drops much, you may have to make the adjustment at the orifice. The lever should remain in contact with the diaphram when the reg is assembled. If it rattles when you shake the reg, it is too loose. If a 1/12 turn of the nut (or the orifice) does not cure the leak, the problem is mor severe than a simple adjustment.

thanks for the information - I'll try what you mentioned and test it out to make sure everything's good.

Might be a seat or the cone. if AWAP's suggestions don't work take it to an authorized service center.

Back
Top Bottom