O2 analyser is a must or not????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

E Rick

Registered
Reaction score
I everybody...! I"ll take my Nitrox cert next june and i want to have advises on the need to have a gas analyser ( O2 analyser) when diving Nitrox??? Can i trust the dive shops for the right gas blend??? Are you aware that accidents due to inexact gas mixes ever appenned....???

Thank's!!!

E Rick:confused:

You must analyze the tank before you dive it.. but it does not have to be your analyzer. Anyplace serving up nitrox should have an analyzer there for you to use - so just calibrate, and check your tanks.

Now it's handy to have your own sometimes, where there are 15 people waiting to use one analyzer... but it is not mandatory you own your own... just nice.

If you get your own, they have a sort of fuse that must be changed fairly regularly. I can't remember how often but I know they're not cheap. If you're going to a reputable shop, you should be able to trust that theirs is current. If you don't trust people that much, you can get your own.

jiveturkey:
If you get your own, they have a sort of fuse that must be changed fairly regularly. I can't remember how often but I know they're not cheap. If you're going to a reputable shop, you should be able to trust that theirs is current. If you don't trust people that much, you can get your own.

If you get Certified by PADI they inform you that you must check your own Mix each time and YOU must label your own tanks as to the O2 percentage, MOD and your Name.

I guy i knew got his tanks filled for 32%, when he check his mix using his own anaylzer it was 35%. It is not a matter of trust jiveturkey. It is a matter of life or death.

Good luck with you EAN class i am sure you will have a great time.

I really like this model.

d5_12.JPG

ocrmaster:
If you get Certified by PADI they inform you that you must check your own Mix each time and YOU must label your own tanks as to the O2 percentage, MOD and your Name.

I guy i knew got his tanks filled for 32%, when he check his mix using his own anaylzer it was 35%. It is not a matter of trust jiveturkey. It is a matter of life or death.

Good luck with you EAN class i am sure you will have a great time.

I really like this model.

d5_12.JPG
Obviously you didn't understand my post. I was talking about trusting that the shop has a current oxygen sensor inside the oxygen analyzer. Of course you have to analyze your own mix.

E Rick:
I everybody...! I"ll take my Nitrox cert next june and i want to have advises on the need to have a gas analyser ( O2 analyser) when diving Nitrox??? Can i trust the dive shops for the right gas blend??? Are you aware that accidents due to inexact gas mixes ever appenned....???

Thank's!!!

E Rick:confused:
I have my own analyzer, and am quite happy that I do. I have gotten fills from a shop that had a short term problem with their analyzer and were not able to provide one for me to use, this was a short term problem, the shop had provided an analyzer before and after the specific fill in question. I have been on a boat that provided nitrox and did not have an analyzer on the boat, as a matter of fact, my analyzer was the only one on the entire boat and was used by about 10 divers for the entire day.

Aside from the issue of a shop providing an analyzer, I know the history of mine, I know the batteries are fresh, and the sensor is in good shape. If I am going to breathe the gas I NEED to know that it is safe. I have gotten fills that were not even close to the requested mix, so I would never "trust" that the mix is right.

You are free to do what you want, but I have my own. If money is a concern there are several kits and plans for your own homemade analyzer. These are fairly simple to make and can save you a tidy sum. All an analyzer is is a finely tuned electrical meter, it reads the value returned from the sensor. It is definitely NOT rocket science. Most of your concerns will be discussed in your class.

Mark Vlahos

You definitely should not trust the mix in any cylinder without analyzing it yourself. It is not just PADI that teaches you to analyze your own mix and to mark your name, the fraction of O2, and the maximum operating depth on the cylinder. That's what SSI (and as far as I know, every other agency) teaches. Every place I have used nitrox has the same requirements. You also enter the same information in their logbook. Any place I have used nitrox has always had an analyzer. You definitely want to calibrate it, typically off an air cylinder. I would have to think twice about using a dive op that skipped any of these steps. This is basic safety procedure for nitrox. If you don't want to spend the money on an O2 analyzer, you don't need to. If the dive op can't provide an analyzer (because it's out of order that day or whatever), you would have to use air instead of nitrox, but that sure is not the end of the world.

Aside from the issue of a shop providing an analyzer, I know the history of mine, I know the batteries are fresh, and the sensor is in good shape. If I am going to breathe the gas I NEED to know that it is safe. I have gotten fills that were not even close to the requested mix, so I would never "trust" that the mix is right.

Amen ! brother.

I dive nitrox on just about every dive. I do not have my own analyzer, but every shop that makes nitrox has one to analyze tanks.

Do not dive a tank that has not been analyzed.

Analyze your tanks, but it doesn't matter if it's yours or the shops.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom