SP VS Apex head 2 Head @ 110 FSW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

David P

Reaction score
Ok, so I made my first dive wearing doubles today out at the oil rigs. On my right post with 7' hose was an Apex DS4 with TX50. On the left post supplying backup duty and inflating my dry suit was my Scuba Pro Mk25/S600 reg set. Obviously both regs are din, I have had the SP about 2 years and have about 50 ocean dives and who know how many pool dives. The Apex is new and only been in the pool. Both regs are bone stock except the 7 foot hose on the apex and no Sea Cure mouth pieces.
We were given the go signal so we all bail out of the boat and start swimming towards the oil rig. We all made it inside of the pilings and out of the current. We regroup and decend. My buddy and I meet up at 50' as discussed and continued down. We hit 110 and start tooteling around. Ok so now I'm not kicking for my life in the rippin current and I have calmed down enough to really focus on my breathing. So far I am really enjoying breathing the tx50,the inhalation effort is minimal and the exhalation is nice and crisp. I do NOT like their cumfort bite or whatever the call it, I do not suffer from sore jaws as I am usually pretty relaxed under water but the reg felt loose in my mouth so I would bite a little harder with no change in looseness. I switch over to my backup reg, the s600 bungeed around my neck, I flip the dial from predive to dive and adjust out the breathing effort to the lightest. I breathes just the way it always has...for good or bad. There is a slight stutter in the diaphram on exhales and the valve cracking open has always been less than ideal even with the reg ever so lightly free flowing. I have heard all of these people claim that their S600 breathes like a dream, maybe I got the red headed step child of a reg but I have never been real happy with it. As I switch back to my Apeks primary I notce one other feature that I like better than the SP, the dive/predive switch, its a bit bigger and easier to use I feel. I hate to admit it but a plane jane work horse of a reg that is held back by the long hose, the Apeks DS4/TX50 blew away my overpriced MK25/S600. I will admit with the bottom port of the Mk25, it makes for nicer hose routing though. I will not be selling of my MK25 as I work at a shop that is a SP dealer, not Aqua Lung, and when diving with a class I have to dive what we sell...hmm maybe Ill have to check out our Atomics line of regs...

Good to hear the Apex is a good preformer. I'm planning on getting an XTX50, XTX40 set.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom