Brockville/Kingston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diver gadget

Contributor
Reaction score
So has anything changed with checking in and out with US/Canadian sides?? I am renting a house boat out of Brockville Starting this sunday fo a week and am diving. If any of you see a Houseboat out the don't be shy, come on up and say hi. Another question is are most of the markers on the wrecks?? Thats the worst when you get to a wreck and have the approx GPS numbers but no jug can be found. Any other tips would be welcome.

Be Careful!

The water on Lake Ontario can be very rough. Houseboats in general can NOT handle the waves and wakes (Lake Freighters etc.) out on the big water! Their pontoons and small engines (low power) can be really useless in a rough sea.

If you don't know the area; GPS systems and up-to-date charts are needed - and are not always part of the boat gear. Extra fuel is needed and a decent ship to shore radio.

Other pieces of gear you'll need that probably isn't on the boat would be rope for tying off to the jug, gaff hook, granny lines, and stern line and float.

Be aware that there are very specific safety requirments in Ontario for boats and they increase if you are more than 1 km to shore (must carry a bunch of flares and anchor.) I doubt that these will be on the houseboat.

Check out SOS Kingston for wrecks that they mark. Ducks also mark a bunch of wrecks towards Prince Edward County.

On top of that, Give me a date and I'll bring the bevies if'n you want company. :D :D

Dive safe!

We are renting out of brockville, I have been on a house boat in the trent system. We were in the middle of lake simco and desided to swim. A bit of a storm came on us real quick and the houseboat felt like it was going to roll over. I don't think I wil get to far into the lake but the river is a little safer.
I just dove with ducks on the weekend, great wrecks by the way, and a great little outfit. I think the farthest we will get going south will be Kingston. Anything past that gets a little open for me in a house boat.
We will be towing a zodiac for quick little trips. Thanks for the other little bits of advice. I would think, but am not sure that in order for them to rent a house boat they would have to have the required by law stuff like anchors and flares. I will call them up before we go.

As far as giving you a date we will be up there all next week starting sunday september 8 and going until saturday the 14. We have no real plans on being anywhere at a certain time so it would be tough to give a specific date and place.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom