Halycon Pioneer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

erich

Contributor
Reaction score
I have made my decision to got with the Pioneer for singles. What I am debating is between the 27# or the 36# wing. I currently dive wet in fresh water with eight pounds lead in a 3/2 mil. I eventually want to skip the 5 or 7 mil suit and go directly to a dry suit. Do you think I can manage with the 27#? I know that the 36# is the same exact size, but included a bellows sides that account for the extra 9 Pounds of lift. Are there any other factors that I can provide? Thank you for your help.

To be more clear, the shape and footprint seem to be very similar. Am I mistaken in this? My idea was that drag would not seem to be greatly increased for the larger wing.

If you look at them side by side you will see the 36# wing has little panels that "open" on the side when the wing is inflated allowing it to be a bit larger and hence have a little more lift.

I used a friends #27 first and liked it but thought I might need the extra lift in the future so I went with the #36. One difference I've noticed is when I have just a tad of air in the wing at the start of a dive and I'm vertical, it tends to migrate to that panel area, causing my trim to be off just a bit. The donut shape and advertised advantage of no air trapping doesn't seem to apply to the #36 because air does get in the panel area and doesn't move as freely.

I also am discovering I'm not too wild about the length of the whole wing. I'm using ScubaPro straps w/buckles and when I go to attach my tank to the BP/wing, I have to set the tank on the edge of something so the bottom of the wing can 'hang free' or I have hell getting it close enough to get the buckles latched. It may just be my technique and I'm working on that but in the meantime it's very aggrivating!

Just my 2¢

or you need Octogrip cam straps.

I have them and the 36lb wing and have no trouble getting set up with the tank.

Do the Octogrip straps come apart and latch or are thay like regular style that loosen and tighten?

Do the Octogrip straps come apart and latch or are thay like regular style that loosen and tighten?

The older style (pre 2002) come apart, but the newer style are threaded like any other type of cam strap and just loosen and tighten.

and the wife has the 27#. I have over 60 dives on it and love it. When at a low air volume, it, as will the 27 (or probably any wing) traps a little air due to it's profile of "wrapping" the tank. A little side roll or "butt up" let's the air "equalize" quite nice.

tony

21 1/2 days to go

... I intended on answering you Eric after a few more questions.

But Shane sold a $500 weight belt for $400 and left me to finish making it... so I've been out pouring lead!

Anyway... back to the wing issue... not to hit and run again but what kind of tank are you diving? And is your weight going to be in a belt or integrated? It makes a difference.

The wing needs to float the rig. If you are wearing your extra weight in a belt then the 27# wing should be able to float the bp/full tank and STA... unless you have one of the extra heavy SS backplates and weighted STA with a steel tank... then maybe not.
Seems the 27# wing does not have 27# lift in salt in my experience... less then in fresh.

As for the difference between the 27# wing and the 36# wing... the reason I asked how you knew they were identical is to get more information. The new style 27# that I have is longer and narrower than the 45# older style that Shane has.

Back
Top Bottom