Multi-gas dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CWMurf

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm not sure how to search for previous posts on this topic. If it has been discussed please point me to the thread. If it has not, can anyone list for me the computers that will allow me to switch gas mixtures mid dive? I don't need helium or anything fancy at this point. I would like to switch between different O2% to maximize bottom time and depth. (sort of pre-tech training).

Thanks.

I use the suunto vytec and the HS explorer. After you actually get training you may find the best computer is no computer at all though.

nitek duo does three gas switch underwater
nitek plus does 2 gas switch
nitek he does 7 gas switch and can do trimix
oms vr3 i think does the same as the nitek he
cochran commander
abyss explorer
there may be more but these are the ones i know of i use the nitek he and the nitek plus which is a wristwatch also and i am very happy with both as i found them very simple to program them.

wedivebc:
I use the suunto vytec and the HS explorer. After you actually get training you may find the best computer is no computer at all though.

I second this. I also use a Vytec (new the DS version) but my computer is my back up to my tables (Mplan) that I plan out before the dive and use with a depth gauge/bottom timer.

Good list, but OMS doesn't make (or sell to my knowledge) the VR3. Of all these units, the VR3 is probably the best buy as you can upgrade it in stages as you need to. It's not cheap though.

leviathan454:
oms vr3 i think does the same as the nitek he
cochran commander
abyss explorer
there may be more but these are the ones i know of i use the nitek he and the nitek plus which is a wristwatch also and i am very happy with both as i found them very simple to program them.

PerroneFord:
Good list, but OMS doesn't make (or sell to my knowledge) the VR3. Of all these units, the VR3 is probably the best buy as you can upgrade it in stages as you need to. It's not cheap though.
When the VR3 first showed up in the US it was sold though OMS, just as the HS explorer was sold through Abysal.

wedivebc:
When the VR3 first showed up in the US it was sold though OMS, just as the HS explorer was sold through Abysal.

I should have guessed! Thanks for the heads up. I didn't become aware of them until there was an established dealer network in place.

leviathan454:

close!

Nitek Duo and Plus do 2 gases

Nitek 3 does 3 gases (they don't make them anyomore, but still can find them used for nice prices).

and of course, the Nitek He does 7 gases and can handle helium. Dive Rite
is running a special on these computers. it's an awesome deal:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/computers/nitekhe.shtml

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom