Dive compass

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kwbyron

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
OK, what differentiates a Dive compass from say, a hiking compass? I feel like I need a compass right now, but really cant shell out the $50 for one right now... So if the hiking compass I have is waterfilled.....can I dive with it?
View attachment 34786

Price !!!!
I use an orienteering compass quite frequently. I think it cost about $10.

the K

Kwbyron:
So if the hiking compass I have is waterfilled.....can I dive with it?
Yes, it will work fine, but with two minor problems ..... the allowable tilt angle is less with the hiking compass than a normal dive compass, so you will have to be more careful to keep the compass level and make sure that the needle is moving freely. The other minor problem is corrosion with long term use. I use a hiking compass on a small sailboat that sails pretty wet, and after a while the copper or brass spring clip that holds the bezel in place gets crudded up and the bezel is hard to rotate.

Another good compass is the mini-ball. I have a ball compass, about 1" diameter as a zipper pull on my dive bag (about $2 at Walmart). I often loan it to divers that don't have a compass with their rental gear. Works nicely, although the bearing resolution is coarser than either a hiking compass or a dive compass. Similar to http://www.modernoutpost.com/gear/details/cg_pinon.html

score! I'm using my orienteering compass, which is actually filled with oil (I drilled a hole in the bottom to see if it's water filled, I was going to fill it with oil). That's what I heard, oh, it's not filled so they'll crack! I"m glad, that'll save me some bucks.

Back
Top Bottom