Too hot for the Red Sea in August?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tovster

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I noticed that people are recommending the Red Sea in the spring or fall. I am planning to go on a liveaboard in the southern part of the Red Sea in the middle of August. How hot does it get in the Red Sea during August? Is it too hot to go in the middle of the summer?

Tov

I hope your liveaboard has A/C...

It is going to be hot, but is more than tolerable - just make sure you drink plenty of water to keep hydrated.

You are on a liveaboard, so should get a cooling breeze from the sea - it will be much hotter on land.

Mark

I just got home from Eilat. Day temps were close to 40C, but I was quite comfortable. I drank water ALOT-- made sure I had to pee about once an hour----- and stayed wet and in the shade. The nights were cooler than they will be in August--- they're what RSS said then, so try to find air conditioning for sleeping.
Barbara

PS
Did you take that wonderful shark pic in your profile, Tovster? Tell us about yourself. Please.

That's my picture.

I am in news talk radio and I love shark diving. I have the good fortune to broadcast from anywhere in the world where we can find a studio, and broadcast during the night and dive all day. I have essentially dived all the Caribbean, and I am looking for new intriguing species and exciting new dive locations.

I heard so much about the Red Sea that I plan to be there in the summer. With all the choices of liveaboards in the Red Sea, it is hard to choose.

I don't know how to attach my photos to this post, or I would attach them here. You can check up some of my pictures at deepblueimage.com
Tov

It is very hot in august (could get to 44 C) but the air is dry, so you're not that sticky.
keep in mind that eventhough the air is hot, the water temperature is around 21 C.
And also keep in mind that July-August is the best time to be in Egypt\Sinai.
Are you going to the Alpiston reef ?

pitri:
It is very hot in august (could get to 44 C) but the air is dry, so you're not that sticky.
I agree with this. The dry air from the desert mixes with the winds coming from the sea and really help you to tolerate high temperatures. But, you'll be on a liveaboard so it might still get sticky.

Personally, I don't mind that kind of weather. Just try to avoid the direct sunlight, use plenty of sunscreen and drink a lot of water - but not the tap water. My personal favorite bottled water in Egypt was the local brand - Baraka.

to make a few things clear:

on a liveaboard you will have most of the time a nice breeze during the day. you will not feel the heet that much. but remember to drink lots of water (4 to 6 liters/day)
ok, beer is 95% water just do it after the last dive.

quite often at sunset the wind quietens down, so that you can feel the real temperature. it can also be the opposite, very strong winds and rough seas.

just make sure your boat is equipped with ac in saloon and cabines.

water temperatures will be between 28 to 30/31 degrees.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom