What can I get for $1000?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calminian

New
Reaction score
I have about $1,000 to spend on a BCD and Regulator. I'm barely certified and very green. :babycrawl I live in Southern California, and will be vacationing Maui next week. :shades: If it were you, what would you buy? :confused:

It matters what kind of diving you want to do, of course. Very new, I bought a Zeagle Flathead VI with ZX primary and backup second stages. For BC, I bought a BP (for my purposes, it didn't matter who made it, but it did matter that it was stainless steel), some webbing, a wing, and some really nice pockets w/weight integration from OMS. I also got a backpad and a SS single tank adapter.

This works great for me. If I were to do it again, I would likely get the Apeks pockets instead of OMS (I've played with a friend's, and I like how they release weight).

I spent a lot more than $1k, but then I also picked up dive lights, knives, ankle weights, a dry suit, assorted accessories, weights, a computer, gauges, ... this is all gear you didn't ask about, but there is a good chance you'll want it.

Call Joe and Larry at Scubatoys, they'll discuss your options and set you up better than you could've hoped for with your $1000 (or less). :thumb:

I would get a used Halcyon Eclipse on e-bay and a SP mid-level reg new from Scubatoys or LP.

"Halcyon" is the best I love it
I would like to sat depend what kind of dive you use?

You do not have enough time to do the research. If you go thru Scubatoys, you will get perfectly adequate gear at a competetive price. If you want the gear that is just right for you, rent for this trip and get smart about what you want.

Calminian:
I have about $1,000 to spend on a BCD and Regulator. I'm barely certified and very green. :babycrawl I live in Southern California, and will be vacationing Maui next week. :shades: If it were you, what would you buy? :confused:

Rent for the trip, do your homework and buy latter.

It's unlikely that you will purchase, recieve and dive/master this stuff before the trip so owning has a lot less benefit in that context. There is good and then there is best for you. The latter requires your informed participation. Welcome to the gear forums, your new home. :)

Pete

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom