Whiskey Wreck 5-29-6 Dive Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SuPrBuGmAn

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Trey J and I headed to Gulf Shores yesterday evening for an afternoon dive on the Whiskey Wreck. Trey had dove the wreck once, before Ivan, when it wasn't nearly as uncovered as it currently sits. We hit Down Under up for a fill, and picked up one of their staff(who had never dove the Whiskey) for our dive team as well.

Water looked very clear from the surface and there were shin-high waves to face on the way out(no problem). Visibility was 15-25' in the top 10' of the water column and warm, I'm guessing in the upper 70s, maybe low 80s? Below the first 10' the water cooled to the mid-low 70sF and visibility was between 6"-10' depending on location. The seas created a bit of a surge on the bottom, but nothing that impeded the dive much. There is a huge school of spadefish on the wreck right now, still a few sheepshead, lots of flounder, pinfish, grunts, small mangroves, blennies, and crabs in most nooks-n-crannies. Trey got seasick and called the dive ~40min into it and James(Down Under tankmonkey) continued for a total of 70mins at a max depth of 17'. We were using our lights by the end of the dive and I think everyone had a good time.

Heading back again tonight, not sure what time - will depend on how fast I can get tanks filled and get out of work.

SuPrBuGmAn:
There is a huge school of spadefish on the wreck right now, still a few sheepshead, lots of flounder, pinfish, grunts, small mangroves, blennies, and crabs in most nooks-n-crannies.

where do I get the spearfishing license?

photohikedive:
where do I get the spearfishing license?

http://www.flounderwear.com/license.html

You can only pick them up in person Mon-Fri from open(not sure when that is) to close(4-5PM)? So picking one up on the weekend isn't an option. There are only three locations(Dauphin Island, Gulf Shores, and Montegomery) to grab em from as well.

Best option for you, is probably the mail thing :11doh:

How do you get to dive practically every single day? Matt, do you work? Must be nice....(jealous)......

I work full time :) Alot of it has to do with living 30 min from the Whiskey Wreck and 40min from the AL Point Jetties - LOL. Nice way to forget about work at the end of the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom