And yet another diving adventure....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba_junkie

Reaction score
So my friend Dave and I where at his LDS (Dive Inn) out in Port Huron getting his tank filled and renting a couple more. We didnt have any idea where we wanted to dive, just that we definitely wanted to get in the water somewhere. We asked some advice from the guys at the shop, and two other customers overheard and joined the discussion. After recommending a dive spot or two, the two customers (John and Wade) asked if we would like to tag along on their boat that day to do some wreck diving out in Lake Huron. We agreed, finished getting our tanks taken care of and headed out to meet them. There where 3 others on the boat, only one of which dive with us (Dave). We dove the Charles S. Price, a 504' long steel steamer that sank in the 1913 storm and the Sport, a tug (not sure of the length). The Price was in about 65 feet of water, thermocline at about 60, and is upside down on the bottom. The hull is falling in on itself in spots which makes for a lot of fun poking your head in and shining a light around. The neatest feature about this dive was that the prop was in tact and is at least 10 feet in diameter. COOL! The Sport is in about 40 feet of water and is laying on its starboard side. This tug is mostly in tact and a lot of the equipment and mechanical items from the pilot house and engines are still present. Both of these dives where a ton of fun, plus it gave my friend Dave a chance to do his first boat dives as well as large open water wreck dives. Many thanks to John, the boat owner for inviting us out, to Wade, the dive master from Anchor Bay Scuba for keeping things safe and organized, the great hospitality from John and Wade's wives, and Dave for a good laugh or three. This whole sport seems to be comprised of a group of very friendly and open people. I guess thats the other side of it that makes is so appealing.

Dive Safe!
Erich :eek:ut:

scuba_junkie you ever do any River diving right there at Port Huron or the other side in Sarnia?

That was one of the dives the people we talked to suggested. It is the tug in the river just south of the Blue Water Bridge on the Canadian side. There is supposed to be a cable that leads to the wreck, and another that leads from the wreck to the old CSL docks. Supposedly, the current there isnt too bad as long as you stay in towards the shoreline. This looks like its due to the slight bend in the river at that point causing an eddy effect on the Canadian side. My dive buddy and I are a little hesitant to dive the river, but if that spot isnt too bad we may try it. However, it would be nice to go with another diver, or group that have experience there.... hint hint....

Erich

Erich,
You can dive the CSL docks with no problem. Stay within the pilings and there's no real current. Venture too far out from them, though, and it can get fast quickly.

The tug, the Monarch, does indeed have a line to it. However, the current can vary dramatically. I've been on the line when there was very little and been on the line when I was flapping like a flag. Please don't do the Monarch without someone with you who knows the wreck, conditions, and bail-out procedures.

lakesdiver - Thanks for the warning. I would never think of venturing into a dive like that without someone else who is 'very' qualified and 'very' experienced at doing just that. Getting caught in an underwater obstruction in an 8 knot current, or even dragged down river for that matter, are not my ideas of a good & safe dive... Im in this to enjoy it. If I want to scare myslef and have a near death experience, I will take my sportbike back to the race track. :wink:

Keepin' it safe!
Erich

scuba_junkie once bubbled...
That was one of the dives the people we talked to suggested. It is the tug in the river just south of the Blue Water Bridge on the Canadian side. There is supposed to be a cable that leads to the wreck, and another that leads from the wreck to the old CSL docks. Supposedly, the current there isnt too bad as long as you stay in towards the shoreline. This looks like its due to the slight bend in the river at that point causing an eddy effect on the Canadian side. My dive buddy and I are a little hesitant to dive the river, but if that spot isnt too bad we may try it. However, it would be nice to go with another diver, or group that have experience there.... hint hint....

Erich

We were just on it last Saturday again and the current on it was just screaming, but what a blast. The line from the csl docks is no longer there but the cable is... which is safer. we didnt take the cable there but took the cable out, because we were flapping on that line like clothes on a line. The current there varies in severety, but both currents are always there. We will have to hook up and do that dive so you will get the adrenaline going and you can taste some awesome ripping current.:wink:

I'd be up for it sometime soon... just one of those things that I'd be very hesitant and cautious doing. Let me know.

Erich

scuba_junkie once bubbled...
I'd be up for it sometime soon... just one of those things that I'd be very hesitant and cautious doing. Let me know.

Erich
I'm on vacation for the next 3 weeks, I got training dives this weekend and then back to the good stuff come Monday. Anytime Monday on for the next three weeks I am free as a bird..or should I say fish. Convenient you live on the way to Sarnia.

BTW it is good to be hesitant and cautious, thats how you keep safe and keep diving
:)

Possibly the weekend of the 14th? I will be returning from a business trip to London, Ontario on Friday evening, so I could always just crash at my dive buddies place in Port Huron. He is all of 2 minutes from the bridge so it could work out pretty easily.

Thanks,
Erich

Scuba Junkie,

I live in Port Huron and dive the river frequently. Who is you buddy who lives by the bridge? Does he dive the river a lot?

Just wondering if I know him?

Eric P

Back
Top Bottom