what is HP and LP!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aboalreem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
what is HP or LP mean ? and why are they important?

HP = High Pressure
LP = Low Pressure

The terms can be used for regulator ports - LP for secondary, HP for gauges; or for tanks..good for higher pressure or not...

I am going to buy a steel tank, how can I use the HP and LP for good and bad?

HP = High Pressure LP = Low pressure, although low pressure is a misnomer if you're referring to cylinders. In a regulator, a HP port is where you attach you SPG so you'll know how much air is remaining in your bottle. A LP port is where you attach your 2nd stages and your LPI (Low Pressure Inflator).

Generally, when referring to tanks, HP is anything higher than 3000 PSI, although even an 1800 PSI bottle is a high pressure cylinder.

aboalreem:
I am going to buy a steel tank, how can I use the HP and LP for good and bad?
With a HP tank you can get more air in your tank than you can with an LP of the same size/physical volume. More air means more bottom time, but also more weigh. Other than that I don't know much else...I normally dive AL80s.

HP = High Pressure , LP = Low pressure.
I would think the importance between the two would be obvious.
The exception being scuba bottles, There are various reasons to prefer one over the other when considering those, but then the argument is over pressures greater than 2400 psi - That doesn't exactly qualify as LP, but LP is apporximatly bottles less than 3000 psi and HP are those greater than 3000 psi.

well... basically, scuba tanks are either "low" pressure (2400 to 2640 psi), "standard" pressure (3000 psi), or "high" pressure (3300 to 3500 psi).

low-pressure steel tanks are preferred by nitrox and technical divers who expect to be blending their gases using the partial-pressure method.

the high-pressure steel tanks offer the advantage of more compact size when compared to similar volume low-pressure steel tanks and even some aluminum tanks.

the lowest service pressure is best from the point of view of equipment. the higher the pressure, the more stress on regulator and valve components, such as o-rings and seats, increasing the likelihood of a failure

lots of good info here:

http://www.diveriteexpress.com/library/tanks.shtml

I thought LP stood for LeisurePro. Learn something new every day.

Back
Top Bottom