Best diving 1000km from Amsterdam?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

servopuff

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm looking for the best diving spots in the "area" where my husband and I can practice our skills and maybe see some fauna. We're willing to drive up to 1000km, hoping for good visibility and warm water. :D We would need to rent tanks, BCDs and regs, so having an onsite shop would be great. We're both newbies so "easy" locations are preferred, but if you have a favorite spot that's a bit more advanced, we'd like to know about that too, for future reference of course.

I tried looking online for local diving in France, Belgium, Germany, Denmark, etc, but the websites I have found are in local languages, which I don't speak. :( Any hints for dive spots and/or online directories I should look at?

Thanks!
amy

How about this one: [B]www.divemania.fr[/B]?

You could also try this French forum:
France.gif
Plongeur.com.
No worries, they will answer you in English. :)

You could try Spain, it offers alot of diving, if you want to drive that bit further and get a ferry you could come to Mallorca, one of the Balearic islands. The island offers marine reserves, ship wrecks, etc. And great diving conditions for all levels, water temp is nearly 21C now...

if you want some more info try: www.hippocampes.com (all their equipments new, all Cressi,elipse regs....)

Esterdit is possibly a good option for you. The water temps will be highest in the middle of the summer. The Canary Islands are only 4 hours flying and in the same time-zone. That's another good option for warm water.

Have you actually tried diving in Holland yet? In July and August the water temps reach 18C. Visibility isn't great but with a little practice even that isn't a big problem.

R..

We went to L'Estartit last summer. It's a small place about 80 km across the French-Spanish frontier, not too far from Barcelona. That's a bit further than 1000 km, but it seems to offer the best diving in the meditarenean. It's marine reserve which leads to more underwater life than in other places - at least, that's what I'm told.

We dove with La Sirena, and stayed on the camping they are based on. It's a Dutch/Belgian dive centre. They drive you to the harbour, they've got elevators on their two larger boats (total three boats) and offer storage rooms for your gear between dives. We really loved it a lot.

Many thanks for the replies so far. The suggestions are great but they are all a bit too far. I am really looking for places that we can get to by car over a long weekend. Lakes and quarries could be interesting. We have only dived in the Oostvoornsemeer in Holland so far but plan to try Zeeland in the coming months. Are there some interesting lakes or quarries in Belgium/Germany/France within a day's drive?

Thanks again and please keep the suggestions coming.

How about joining the GODD next sunday?

You're guarantueed to have a great time.

There's always more than enough locally experienced spare buddies and you get to meet several SB members as well.

try switzerland, the Val Versazca in the Ticino (italian part of switzerland) if you're driving.

for mallorca i can only state that 1hr flight out with the low cost will probably cost you less than driving to france or so with your car, the motorway fees etc :)

hi servopuff...
what do you think about Tenerife .. ?
if you need info about this .. send me an email.. maybe .. we can help you....
:)

best regards from tenerife!!
pepe

The Val Versazca in the Ticino looks really interesting, but too far for a long weekend trip. :)

Since posting the original message I am starting to think that the best diving within 1000km of Amsterdam is actually in Zeeland, am I right? We are doing our AOW and Nitrox with our LDS in the coming weeks so we'll get the chance to dive in Zeeland, finally.

amy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom